Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Personal hotspot no longer connecting since ios 6 upgrade

I don't know if this is coincidental, but since upgrading to ios 6 my ipad 2 does not pick up the personal hotspot from my iphone 4s. I connect this way while I am at work and prior to the upgrade, my ipad would pick up the hotspot immediately when prompted. Now I try to link up and my ipad acts like its trying to connect to the network but the little circle just spins and spins and the ipad never connects. The strange thing is that my phone shows "Personal Hotspot: 1 Connection" although I am not connected.

When I am home the ipad works fine through my wireless home connection, but something has happened with my iphone 4s hotspot and it no longer functions. Another thing I noticed is that app upgrades have taken a dump. I currently have 4 apps that I have upgraded and they are still showing as "waiting". They have been like that for a whole day.

What is going on?? Thanks!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:25 PM

9 replies

Sep 29, 2012 9:54 AM in response to Busboss

Same here. I have a Mac book which I used to connect to the Internet with the personal hotspot function on my iPhone 4S. It worked just fine and I was very pleased with that. Than iOS 6 came along and bang! I can still connect to the hotspot but it says "no Internet connection" ( the little wireless icon as an exclamation mark on it). In case you are wondering, yes I had plenty of 3G coverage. Apple? ***? Anyone has any clues?

Nov 10, 2012 5:18 AM in response to Busboss

I have been facing the same issue since upgrading to iOS6.

I went to an Apple Store and the first time, they told me to reinstall iOS. It worked for about a day after.

I went back again and they told me to reset network settings. It worked for about 2 days after.

The third time, from the store, they rest everything and told me to set up the iPad as a brand new one and not back up from a previous copy. This seemed to work for about 3 days and now I am back to square one.

It is really frustrating and I am scheduled to go back to the Apple Store to get them to sort it out once and for all. I never had any such trouble with iOS5.

Dec 22, 2012 12:39 PM in response to Busboss

I started get the same problem since updating to iOS 6.0.1, and found that by restarting my iphone each time seems to get it working for a day or 2, but then i have to restart the phone again, Until apple finds a fix i have found a work-a-round, and that is to connect the two devices via Bluetooth, Its not as fast as connecting via WiFi but a least it works.

Mar 15, 2013 4:26 AM in response to PlatnumK

I upgraded the software on my iPhone 4S from ios 5.x to ios 6.1.2 and lost the personal hotspot connection on a mac running 10.7.5, but not on a mac running the latest version.

For anyone experiencing the “no internet connection” issue mentioned in eugeniofrompadova’s post, and if none of the above suggestions worked for you, try the following as a possible solution on Mac OS, as it worked for me.

On the Mac you’re using, go to System Preferences / Network, then click on the connection for the iPhone. (This may be combined under Wi-Fi, or as a separate bluetooth or usb icon). Click the “Advanced” button. Click the TCP/IP tab, if it is not already selected. The “Configure IPv4:” will probably be set to “Using DHCP”. Assuming it is, click the “Renew DHCP Lease” button. This should hopefully solve your problem.

Under Windows you should also be able to request a renewal of the DHCP lease, but I can’t guide you there.

Hope this helps.

Personal hotspot no longer connecting since ios 6 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.