Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 Purple haze/tint on pictures

Has anyone noticed a purple tint/haze on pictures taken from the new iphone 5? If so, is it hardware or software related?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:21 AM

45 replies

Oct 1, 2012 4:54 PM in response to Mangaxhombro

I've got a SERIOUS issue with this. I take between 500-800 pics A DAY. I make my living taking pictures and the 4S never had this issue (starting to wish I'd kept it). It's not just this. Black is much more like a Dk Gray than it was before with the 4S. I have a few days to return it (Day One - PreOrder). For someone to say this is "Normal" and to angle away from the light source is ZERO help when you are shooting interiors (Autos) and surrounded by Windows.

Not happy with this aspect of the New 5.

Oct 1, 2012 5:44 PM in response to TigerSSMac

TigerSSMac wrote:

I've got a SERIOUS issue with this. I take between 500-800 pics A DAY. I make my living taking pictures and the 4S never had this issue (starting to wish I'd kept it). It's not just this. Black is much more like a Dk Gray than it was before with the 4S. I have a few days to return it (Day One - PreOrder). For someone to say this is "Normal" and to angle away from the light source is ZERO help when you are shooting interiors (Autos) and surrounded by Windows.

Not happy with this aspect of the New 5.

I do about 600 pics a day between work and personal, both indoor and outdoor. I gave up and switched back to my 4S. No issues. I would recommend either returning yours, or else selling it online (currently selling on eBay for a large markup), buying a 4S, and waiting until they do a silent update to fix the purple flare issue (or holding out for the 5S, aka rev2).

A lot of people online are saying to just buy a dSLR - I have a dSLR, and this is a non-issue on my dSLR as well as my 4S. All cameras suffer from the "purple" chromatic aberration issue; the problem here is that it's just excessive to the point of being noticeable (and annoying). Don't drive yourself nuts over it. Go find another 4S and wait it out.

Oct 7, 2012 2:50 PM in response to kaidomac

purple haze? I noticed that SOME blues look more purple than it did on my iPhone 4, but I don't see any signs of purple anywhere else. I can't see how it could be a lens issue as photos taken on my 4 also have the purple tint when viewed on the 5. Does this purple haze show itself in prints?

How does anyone depend on a cell phone camera for a living?

I have noticed that the blacks are not as rich on the 5 while looking at the home screen.

Oct 7, 2012 3:56 PM in response to Meerahone

If the iphone 4 or iphone 3 did not exhibit this problem, then people who upgraded to an iphone 5 should be upset with apple for 'downgrading' the optical characteristics of the lens. Maybe there's even a case for a class action suit. All I can say is pointing any camera toward a strong light source will sometimes create lens flare. Apple's short term solution is correct: tilt the camera slightly or move the camera to a different spot to reduce or eliminate the effect. Has anyone posted comparative lens flare example photos taken with different model iPhones? I would like to see the side by side comparison.

Iphone 5 Purple haze/tint on pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.