Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 has issues connecting to AT&T network. Cycles from no bars to 3-5 bars of Edge only and back to no bars over and over. AT&T reset the connection and told me to turn off WIFI. Anyone else with this issue?

Title states it all.

A few times a day, I get a cycling connection from no bars to some amount of bars of Edge. This keeps happening until I either power cycle the unit or turn airplane mode on and off at which point it connects to "4G." Oh I get 2 to 3 bars max of 4G also in the same locations that my 4S got full bars. Mind you, we don't have LTE in my area yet.

Called AT&T and they told me they reset the connection (which usually only works for a day) asked me how many times a day I completely power off my phone, and then told me to turn off WIFI and keep it off.

I understand that there are WIFI related issues with these phones, but AT&T is saying that the WIFI is interfering with the tower connection...

Wondering if this is a phone problem (to where I should go to an Apple store and replace it) or service related...

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 11:27 AM

5 replies

Sep 28, 2012 12:29 PM in response to artbran

Yes, same problem here in Pittsburg KS. It's happening on every person's iPhone 5 I've asked including my wife's and 2 coworkers. We got 3G here in April 2011 and ever since I have never seen my previous phones (4 and 4S) ever go back to Edge until we got out in the country where there was only edge. However since getting my iPhone 5 it keeps going into Edge around town or even at home or at the office, and it will sit there and keep flipping back and forth between Edge and just nothing until I power it off and on and then it connects at 4G. Very frustrating and I already sold my 4S so I can't go back, kinda stuck with this until there is hopefully a fix!

Dec 3, 2012 7:32 AM in response to darkonex3

I'm having the exact same issue as Artbran on my iphone 5. It enters this signal loss cycle/stuck on edge cycle when im in my work buildings in northern NJ that has little to no signal. notorious for not having any cell signal in these buildings and it requires a toggle of airplane mode once i return to the outside when there is very strong signal. It's been an annoyance since i got my iphone 5 on launch day but only now did i suspect its my phone as several co-workers with iphone 5's are NOT having their phones stuck in this loop or on edge. I'm going to try a restore as new phone (not from backup) then see how it goes. if not ill just have to hit up the genius bar for replacement.

Dec 6, 2012 8:46 AM in response to artbran

All,

I documented the issue twice yesterday with screen shots showing the cycle when i leave low coverage buildings and go outside to strong coverage. showed airplane toggle from on to off will allow iphone 5 to connect to AT&T 4G immediately. I took to apple store and after capturing my issue and running through a diag the Genius replaced my phone. I won' t know if new phone solves problem until next week but hopefully it does.

I suggest if you are still having this issue, log some screen shots of when it does it and visit your local apple store or call AppleCare. While i think this issue is affecting a very small number of phones its unclear if its a baseband bug or a HW abnormality.

Trifster

Jan 15, 2013 11:45 AM in response to Trifster

Update:

After having one iPhone 5 replaced in early December and a new nano sim i went back to the Genius bar and the Genius suggested a restore but to setup as new iPhone. I did that last week (10 Jan 13) and am still having the same issues with an Edge, no-data, Edge data loop. iPhone 5 will not re-connect to the 4G network (HSPA+ as my AT&T location does not have LTE yet) once i return to a 5 bar area. Have another Genius appointment today. Will see what's happening....

Trifster

Message was edited by: Trifster

iPhone 5 has issues connecting to AT&T network. Cycles from no bars to 3-5 bars of Edge only and back to no bars over and over. AT&T reset the connection and told me to turn off WIFI. Anyone else with this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.