Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 heating up more than 4S (no battery drain)

I have noticed that the iPhone 5 is heating up more than my 4S when doing equivalent activity (say, surfing the web on Wifi). I know heat can be subjective, especially because metal and glass are different materials, but bear with me.

A friend of mine has done the same comparisons (5 vs 4S by doing similar activity) and he says the 5 is consistently cooler.

I have tried doing something particularly intensive (recording a video for 15 minutes), and the 5 did become uncomfortably warm to touch. Unfortunately I don't have an IR thermometer, but by guesstimatig (touching my cheek with it) I'd say it was around 40C / 104F. The same friend did the same test and said his was only barely warm, certainly not uncomfortable to hold.

No, I don't have a battery drain issue, nor a high running CPU because of some stuck sync account. Battery life is actually pretty good, I'd say comparable if not slightly better than the 4S.

So, what do you think? Why are some iPhone 5's running warmer than others while doing the same things, and there are even people saying that their 5 is consistently cooler than the 4S?

I know, I could ask Apple. The standard answer would be "it's normal that the phone heats up when used heavily". I already know that. And I also know that metal is a better heat conductor than glass. Still, the variance among different units is strange.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 2:20 PM

6 replies

Oct 4, 2012 5:25 AM in response to ManuCH

I concur! My iphone 5 got so heated up that the lower part created a dark burn mark on the case. After jumping thorugh several hoops, I sent apple care personnel a picture of the case, and they are currently working on my case. I was very concerned at what happened and skeptical on using my phone. I am avoiding making or taking calls until this issues is resolved. I hope they replace me with a new phone since it has been less than 2 weeks since I got mine.

Nov 8, 2012 4:01 PM in response to ManuCH

This may seem like a silly suggestion but I'm curious as to if it works. my 4 started heating up for no reason and I found a post on a forum that suggested the sim try my touching the logic board causing it to generate heat through the phone. I removed the sim tray and the phone cooled down. Now my sim is in an adpater as i did transfer to the new iphone 5 briefly before experience two phone with rapid battery drain and over heating issues, but after a few removing and reinserting the sim tray with i think the sim sitting perfectly aligned in it my phone is now running at normal temp and cool to the touch

Nov 13, 2012 3:38 PM in response to ManuCH

I got a new iPhone 5 about 3 weeks ago. I notice that from time to time in my pocket it heats up high enough I can feel it trough the material, but not as to burn. I read in a post in this fuorum that this hapened for some iPhones after they updated to the new IOS either when is recharging or some blame it on heavy gaming. Mine was not recharging and no game apps open, just the usual iTunes, Messages and phone as usual when I carry it. It happens about every other day, I can feel it through my pocket and soeme times when I am holding it it is quite hot. After a couple of minutes it seem to cool off again. it just does not seem right. (Im posteing in different discussion to see where I get an answer before taking it to the geniuses 🙂)

PS: Dave049 I'll try your suggestion and try re-adjusting the SIM card . if it works I let you all know. thaks for the idea

Nov 30, 2012 10:00 AM in response to ManuCH

My iPhone 5 was heating and the battery was draining fast for bout a week, i did all the Back-Ups and Restore... didn't help, its over Heating more while its in my front pocket. I got my iPhone 5 the first day, it didn't gave any problems since last week... i took it to Apple Store, they've replaced for me (i ask what was the Issue? i didn't got an answer, sooo probably IT'S a KNOWN ISSUE)

Feb 2, 2013 9:27 PM in response to ManuCH

After backing up your phone, Settings->General->Erase All Content and Settings.

Then set up as a new phone.

DO NOT RESTORE from backup as you may be bringing the problem that was causing the overheating back on your phone.

Slowly add your most favorite apps from the App Store, waiting a day or so to make sure your problem isn't caused by a bad app.

If this doesn't work, take your phone to the Genius' for a new battery/phone.

BEWARE. When you backup your phone, it isn't that easy to get to some of your important data like documents in your favorite programs or photos if you are not using photo stream so pull those out of iTunes.

iPhone 5 heating up more than 4S (no battery drain)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.