Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon iPhone 5 Trying to Use Mobile Hotspot

Hello-

I have the Share Everything Plan with 4GB of data/mo. I have the iPhone 5 and an older MBP (nearly 4 years old) I am having a really hard time getting the mobile hotspot to work with the MBP and the tech support at Verizon has given me zero help. I even asked, as a supervisor told me to, for an Apple expert. Being told they do not have tech support agents who are "Apple experts." Nonetheless, I still am unable to use the mobile hotspot for my MBP. I tried the USB, but I wanted to use it wirelessly, so I tried bluetooth with no luck. I read several forum posts on verizon's website but they did not help me. I am wondering if my MBP is too old to work with the iPhone 5's mobile hotspot. I am running mac OS X 10.6.8. Does it sound like I should purchase a new MBP to get the latest OS? I did have a MIFI, which I thought the mobile hotspot would work like the MIFI2200 which was 3G, but even with 4G, the way the mobile hotspot would be similier. No luck.

Any suggestions? I have heard there are issues with Lion, but it seems there are some issues with nearly most computers Apple or non Apple.

I am new to the iPhone, which I think is part of the problems because my basic troubleshooting is not what it should be. the basic settings I do not know what they shold be set at, so it will take some time for me to learn, but I am hoping there will be some specific advice for the mobile hotspot. not sure if just because the iPhone has Verizon on it that means the mobile hotspot is diferent. The network is different, but I cannot see that being a major issue. I am really wondering if my MBP is too old. there are too many problems with this MBP or I would install Lion.

That is all I can think of regading this issue for now. any advice would be appreciated.

would the case type, if it is a full case with a front cover have anything to do with the wifi signals getting to the MBP or other devices I want to use the mobile hotspot on?

Final question, how should I determine how much data I have usd as I near the end of my biling cycle? is there a way to get like a text message that tells me how much I have used at various intervals?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 500 GB HD 7200 rpm

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 10:29 PM

2 replies

Oct 19, 2012 7:22 AM in response to NObodE

I am not sure about the mobile hotspot since Verizon says mine is all set up an should work but still props me to call Verizon when I try to activate it.

With the data usage you can download the MyVerizon app from the App Store and just enter your login and it will display your monthly usage on a bar graph.

Oct 19, 2012 5:55 PM in response to jvoss

jvoss-yea I know I did that, but I usually do not know how to translate what the bar says I have used in to GB's.

On my iPhone, there is an option to use the mobile hotspot like WiFi or with the iPhone plugged in to the MBP or iPad or bluetooth. I have just tried it like I was using my own wiFi connection. It is all under settings.

Verizon iPhone 5 Trying to Use Mobile Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.