Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I leave from a group chat?

Someone I know added me in a group chat and one person won't stop being annoying, how do I leave group chat? Please help!

iPod touch (4th generation)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:42 AM

7 replies

Sep 30, 2012 2:49 AM in response to Jace511

There is no way you can just 'opt out of the chat'. You could ask everyone to delete it and then restart it - excluding you from the list of names. Deleting it simply removes it from the list displayed (well that was the case in iOS 5) and it will re-appear if someone posts a message, I am unsure if this happens with iOS 6.

Hope this helps,

Nov 22, 2012 8:39 PM in response to Mike747

Seriously. Can't some body from Apple actually put an answer out for this question. I can't believe the option is "text everyone, including a bunch of people you probably don't know, and ask them to stop texting eachother, because you're that guy who doesn't like what you're talking about"

And what are you supposed to do in say, i dunno, the scenario that maybe someone in group message is a d*** and is sending out annoying texts... Am i supposed to tell this guy to....? really?

This is ridiculous!!!!! Once you're in a group, that you have no control over, no say in who is in the group, you're stuck... in theory forever? You mean to tell me i could go back to a group message from four years ago and start texting everyone in that group? even people i've never ever met?

I don't. I don't have any words.

Mar 24, 2013 8:52 PM in response to ausinmtl

This is exactly right. This drives me so crazy to the point that I'm looking at other phones based on privacy settings. It boggles my mind that the next update can't include a simple button that says "leave this group". I guess as Apple is keeping people off facebook chat and out of android systems they don't care.

Mar 24, 2013 8:55 PM in response to ausinmtl

Yes it is annoying but happens on all smart phones that I've used (android and iOS) you can delete the message but if another person sends out the message goes to everyone. You can turn off group messaging that way you won't get them from settings>messages then turn of group messaging. Also you could also block the person by contacting your carrier if its someone you don't know.

Mar 24, 2013 9:12 PM in response to timothy.a.clifton

Thank you for the reply. But the question I have is why isn't there a "leave group chat" option? what is the problem of adding a feature like this for people who are negatively affected by group messages? It's turned my personal phone into a facebook minifeed, one that I can not choose not to check or be bothered with. I know this isn't only an apple problem, but Apple prides itself on being the best and the leading innovator in technology, so they should have what others don't. Anyone who wants to stay in group messages can still enjoy the feature, and people who wish to opt out of certain ones don't have to be subjected to it.

How do I leave from a group chat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.