Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 3gs ios 6 upgrade failure

I tried to upgrade my iPhone 3gs to ios 6 and it did not complete normatlly. The error message was "The iphone "iphone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3014)". I researched solutions for this problem and did restores, DFU restore but no matter what I do, when I actually go to RESTORE from iTunes, I get the same 3014 error message shown above. So, I am stuck and the iPhone will not boot up.

I changed the USB cable with another one, I also downloaded the latest iTunes on another PC, and freshly downloaded ios 6 and retried on another PC but I get the same 3014 error message when trying to restore.

I disabled the firewall on the PCs, etc. as well but same error.

I have not done any jailbreaking or anything like that. Only periodic updates of iTunes and the ios.

Any ideas on how to bring my iPhone back up? I don't mind going back to the previous ios; I just want an operational iPhone.

Thank you very much for your help.

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 4:01 PM

I suggest restarting the iPhone by holding the home and on/off buttons together for 6 or 7 seconds till the Apple logo appears.

6 replies

Sep 30, 2012 5:06 PM in response to sberman

Thank you for your reply.

When I did that, I got the Apple logo but then after I let go of the buttons, the next display was the iTunes symbol with the USB cable indicating to connect the iPhone to the PC with iTunes. When I did that, a message popped up on my PC saying "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes".

I click OK and then click on RESTORE.

Then, I get a warning "Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone "iPhone" to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed. iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings".

There's only a "RESTORE AND UPDATE" and "CANCEL" so I click on RESTORE AND UPDATE.

Then, on top of iTunes I then see "Extracting software".

After about a minute, I got "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)".

I thought I was back in the same loop but after a while I noticed my password screen on the iPhone. I don't know what changed but it's back to where it was before I attempted the upgrade.

I'll just wait until I upgrade to an Iphone 5.

Thank you very much for your help.

Oct 1, 2012 5:53 AM in response to mwe79

I found a solution that worked! Connect the phone to itunes, then when the error pops up about software, just click ok. Then, whilst your phone is still connected to iTunes, hold down the home button, then hold down the lock button at the same time for 10 seconds, after the ten seconds, let go of the lock button, BUT KEEP YOUR FINGER ON THE HOME BUTTON for a further ten seconds. The phone will then go into restore mode and a prompt box will pop up in itunes along the lines of do you want to resotre and update - I clicked yes and now my phone is fully working again with ios 6.0

iphone 3gs ios 6 upgrade failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.