Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you disinfect the iPad screen?

How do you disinfect the screen on an iPad 3?

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 12:28 AM

I'm no germophobe nor OCD about cleaning however it seems essential to disinfect something like the iPad screen from time to time. I have found these discussions useful but inconclusive. So I'd like to say, unequivocally, that after reading around the subject I bought some surgical spirit from a high-street chemist and used that sparingly with a lens cloth to clean the screen. I have done this every month or so for about 18 months and there has been zero/nada/zip impact on the display quality nor on the sensitivity of the touch screen.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2013 12:28 AM in response to Eli1997

I'm no germophobe nor OCD about cleaning however it seems essential to disinfect something like the iPad screen from time to time. I have found these discussions useful but inconclusive. So I'd like to say, unequivocally, that after reading around the subject I bought some surgical spirit from a high-street chemist and used that sparingly with a lens cloth to clean the screen. I have done this every month or so for about 18 months and there has been zero/nada/zip impact on the display quality nor on the sensitivity of the touch screen.

Oct 1, 2012 5:24 PM in response to Eli1997

How to clean Apple products

To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

Nov 20, 2012 2:36 PM in response to b j t

I'm a budding germaphobe and, as the original poster inquired, I would like to disinfect my iPad screen, not merely wipe the fingerprints from the screen. How can I accomplish this without damaging or diminishing the screen? On my older devices, I use hand sanitizer directly on their screens, but I don't care about them as much as I care about my brand new iPad. Thanks.

Nov 20, 2012 2:57 PM in response to tibscloud

As a germophobe, you would probably do better to prevent them reaching the iPad by wrapping it in some sort of protection that still allows use, and the ability to sanitise that protection rather than the iPad directly. I believe such products are available, recommended for use in hospitals.

Even better, get over your phobia.

Nov 20, 2013 4:23 PM in response to WaPopWa

The coating makes the screen resistant to fingerprints and other such marks. You wouldn't notice a degradation in display quality or sensitivity, but you may start to see the screen gets dirty faster and doesn't easily wipe clean. So then, you'll be compelled to clean it even more often. Actually, Apple recommends not using solvents similar to what you describe. Tread carefully, and good luck.

Nov 20, 2013 4:36 PM in response to WaPopWa

WaPopWa wrote:

Err... I repeat 'I have done this every month or so for about 18 months and there has been zero/nada/zip impact on the display quality nor on the sensitivity of the touch screen' .

Yes, but you didn't mention any products except for "surgical spirit". I mentioned two readily available products that claim the "disinfect" attribute.

Another site:

http://www.macexperience.com/2013/01/15/germ-warfare-disinfecting-your-iphone-an d-ipad/

As always, you can use Google..."disenfect ipad" brings up many results.

Nov 21, 2013 7:57 AM in response to tibscloud

Me doth think thou worrieth too much....

Have you considered adhering some sort of antiscratch film, that you can replace at will with a pristine and uninfected piece every so often?

BTW, splashing any sort of solvent onto a naked pad of any brand is a surefire way of increasing the maker's bottom line. Cause the gadget's lifetime will be drastically shortened by the corrosion induced. With alcohol the effect will be doubly enhanced due to the water it contains. Or did you think that bottle contained only pure CH3CH2OH or C3H7OH without a hint of H2O mixed in?

How do you disinfect the iPad screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.