Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where do I find the serial number for my macbook pro

My computer told me I was infected with 6 bad viruses. An apple mac protection package wants me to sign up to get rid of these viruses. The mac protection package is asking me for a serial number for my mac. I give it the serial number listed in my apple information but it says it is the wrong serial number. Where can I get the serial number so mac protection can clean up my macbook pro??????

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 6:52 PM

8 replies

Oct 2, 2012 4:07 AM in response to bosco1357

It sounds like what you're seeing is a malicious pop-up on the web. Do you have anti-virus software of some kind installed? If not, note that that's the only thing that can scan your computer for malware. A web site cannot do that, but it's trivial to display a pop-up in your web browser that looks very official, telling you viruses have been found and that you need to install their software to remove them. That's a classic malware trick... the software the pop-up wants you to install is the malware.

Can you provide a screenshot of the window warning you that you have malware? Press command-shift-4, then the space bar, then click the window. The screenshot will be placed in a file on your desktop. Add it to a post here using the camera icon in the post editor's toolbar. (Don't drag it into the post or copy and paste it... that will appear to work for you, but we won't be able to see it.)

Where do I find the serial number for my macbook pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.