Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from iPad on a not airprint compatible printer

I have an iPad 2 and am trying to print text, but it indicates my wifi Canon MX870 printer is not airprint compatible. I downloaded the Easy Photo Printer (IEPP) application and I am able to print photo on the Canon MX870 from my iPad. If printer is not compatible, why can I print photo? Is there an app that I can download on my iPad so that I can print text like I can with the photos? Thanks.

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 9:53 AM

5 replies

Oct 3, 2012 10:19 AM in response to DrBB

Check this Apple support page.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

Is your printer listed? If not your printer does not support AirPrint. There are apps that may help. The one you tried probably prints photos and not text or other docs.

You might also look at a third party option like XPrintServe Server. Google it and go through the list of supported printers to see if it might be a solution for you.

Or buy an AirPrint enabled printer.

Oct 3, 2012 10:25 AM in response to DrBB

To print directly from an iPad / iPhone you will need an AirPrint compatible printer or another device to act as a print server. That can be a Mac computer running Printopia ($19.95 with free trial) or AirPrintActivator (donation - supported). Equivalent PC options exist but you're on your own finding them.

You can also buy this standalone print server:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/xprintserver/xprintserver.html

Otherwise you will need to buy an AirPrint printer or multifunction device.

Oct 4, 2012 4:08 AM in response to DrBB

Print n Share is what I use and it touts itself as being able to print to 'any' wireless printer. I use it iwth my Kodak printer and it works just fine. Little slow but certainly doable.

You really need to read the reviews on some of the printer apps. For example, last time I looked, Kodak had several, but all of them would print photos only, not documents...but they're sometimes not clear about that in their description.

If you don't have an air print printer you have a few options

Look on, in this case, Canon's, website and see if they have any work arounds. I know some models of Kodak printers offer printing via google documents.

Look for a third party app, like print n share, print central, printopia or others

Look into a new printer that's on the airprint list

Printing from iPad on a not airprint compatible printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.