Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iphone 4S will not charge unless the power is switched off. How to fix?

Hello,

My iPhone 4S will not charge unless it is switched off. This happened suddenly with no other symptom several weeks ago. If I plug the charger in, while powered on, the phone doesn't appear to detect it has been plugged in and the battery icon doesn't change its display to show charging. Charging only happens when the phone is powered off completely.

I did some searches for this type of problem and saw it has happened to a few with earlier version iphones, but didn't see any published solutions.

A visit to the local Apple store didn't help either as I was told had to make an appointment; can't make an appointment for awhile because out of the country and no Apple stores where I'm at.

This is a very annoying problem. Anyone else have this happen and have a fix?

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2012 6:14 AM

the 4s utilizes an electronic component called a charging management IC" that shorts out

common problem..sell on fleabay youll get like 175 for it

4 replies

Oct 22, 2012 1:39 PM in response to ewde1

I got this problem solved and just want to let others know what it was.

I followed ewdel1's advice and brought my phone in to have it looked at and sure enough, was told that this is a problem others have had and it was due to a faulty integrated circuit. Luckily, I was able to take this in to be looked at when I did because my 1 year warranty was about to expire in a week.

Apple replaced my 4S with a "new" phone. The replacement looks and works good as new, so happy I didn't have to go through a hassle and the replacement was very straightforward.

My iphone 4S will not charge unless the power is switched off. How to fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.