Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I think its disgusting to pay over $600 for an iPad and not at least get a one-time complimentary screen replacement. DISGUSTING. My iPAD is only a week old.

I tripped this morning and it fell out of my hands. The edge of the screen is cracked. I heard from a few folks that Apple does a one-time complimentary glass replacement for new iPAD owners. I was so pleased with this information that I could not wait to call. I called this morning and this was not the case. I was offered a new one for $299. Why would I want to pay another $300 on top of the $689 I paid already? A thousand bucks? Are you kidding me? Its hard to believe it is costing Apple that much money for one-time screen replacements for new owners. Furthermore, now I can't even buy the coverage for the future since it has a crack on it. Wow, already I am experiencing lousy customer service. Should have gotten a Samsung tablet. smh

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular (VZ), iOS 6

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:00 AM

7 replies

Oct 8, 2012 7:11 AM in response to sistaheart

Huh? What other products do you own that give you free replacement for accidental damage? I just paid $42,000 for a car. I accidentally damaged it and the manufacturer would not repair it for free. What's up with that?

Why would you want to pay another $300, because you have a broken screen and want it replaced.

If you damage a product then expect to pay to have it repaired. I'm sure if the screen broke because of poor workmanship or manufacture defect Apple would replace it (replace the unit) for free under warranty. How is that "lousy customer service". Do you think Samsung would replace its tablet for free if you damaged it?

Oct 8, 2012 7:28 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Why are you comparing a car to an iPad? And yes it's disgusting to have gotten rid of that one-time courtesy screen replacement. You don't need to agree with me. I could careless. Just voicing my disappointment with Apple and their customer service with new owners. They're such a huge billion dollar company and will not replace a screen? Or how about even charge a one-time fee of $50 that I would gladly pay. Anyway, I guess I'm stuck with it now. Good luck to me!

Oct 8, 2012 7:44 AM in response to sistaheart

You don't say where, or what you tripped over, but as well as checking your household insurance policy (mine covers accidental damage to items in the home), check who is responsible for whatever you tripped over. You may be able to claim from them if their negligence caused you to trip over.

However, no matter what, Apple is in no way responsible for the cost of repairing your iPad, regardless of how old it is. It is not their fault you tripped and you are mistaken about the complimentary screen replacement. A very small number of people have generously received a replacement iPad at the discretion of an AppleStore manager, but that is not Apple policy.

I think its disgusting to pay over $600 for an iPad and not at least get a one-time complimentary screen replacement. DISGUSTING. My iPAD is only a week old.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.