Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water went Into iPhone 5 screen after wet screen protector

So I bought a Skinomi wet application screen protector for the iPhone 5. I might have sprayed a little too much solution on the iphone to apply it, I covered the headphone jack and charger ports with tape so no water would come in. I think some water came in through the speaker and went into the screen, the iphone works fine, but there is dark water spots on the display. Its in a bag of rice right now and is on top of my warm pc tower. My questions are will apple replace the phone because the headphone jack and charger ports water indicators were not tripped? Also will most of the water come out of the screen and wont be noticeable?

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 1:34 PM

14 replies

Oct 17, 2012 7:20 AM in response to parc.s

Good news after keeping it in a bag full of rice and a few silica gel packets, most of the water is gone, it almost looks like my iphone before water got in it. There is a small line of water going across the screen where the notification bar is. Hopefully that evaporates and my phone will look good as new.

Feb 20, 2013 3:18 PM in response to parc.s

Hi i had 100% exactly the same issue as you.. bought the stupid skinomi protector and now i'm just frustrated and angry at myself for almost ruining my 700 dlls phone over a 6 dll cheap plastic cover.

i noticed the brighter side spot my screen like 10 hours after i applied the sprotector. i immediatelly placed in desiccant., left it there a day and thankfully it is almost all gone.. i can still see a tiny bright spot on the left top corner of the screen. I tried rice,dessicant again.. but nothing seems to take care of that last spot.

its only visible in very bright backgrounds.. but it's driving me nuts!!!

Jul 24, 2013 6:11 AM in response to jorgegu85

I had the exact same experience. I was in fact Skinomied too. After the rice and desiccant my spot is in the top right corner. Not to bad but just like you Jorgegu it is driving me nuts. I had an appointment at the genius bar for this morning that I just canceled. I am going to give the try out some more time to see if that last spot will go. Other than that I was reading where now at the Apple Store you can get a display replacement done while you wait for $149.00. That is a really good price and it sure beats $239.00 for an out of warranty replacement when it is just a bit of water that snuck in through the ear hole while you were trying (failing) to attempt to apply a silly screen protector...😐

Aug 8, 2013 5:45 PM in response to Apaulo622

Sorry Apaulo622. It ***** right? If you go to http://www.apple.com/retail/ you will be able to locate your nearest Apple store. There are phone numbers there and you can make a Genius Bar reservation as well. How bad is your screen now? I have recently noticed that along with the super bright spot in the top right corner there is also a very light blue hue that covers the top third of my screen. Very annoying when reading websites with white backgrounds while in landscape view... Good luck. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Aug 8, 2013 6:47 PM in response to Ringodog

Earlier, it was both the bottom right and top right of the screen. But now it's just the bottom right. It extremely annoying and especially the brightness distortion at the bottom right. It's not too big of a deal, but I'd pay to get rid of it. I know this is just me being me, but what if I just ordered the parts and repair it on my own.. Even though that warranty will be gone. If that made sense. Debating what I should do. Unfortunately we don't have an apple store around even though my city is the capital of the state, Florida. What do you think?

Sep 19, 2013 11:20 AM in response to parc.s

OK I know this post is old and I am sure you have figured out your solution already but I still have to post this because I just had the SAME problem and mine is COMPLETELY GONE and I am like EXSTATIC right now! I left my phone outside ALL night in the pooring rain. After leaving it in rice for 72 hours to get the water out of the charging port and such, it turnd on just fine and it works, but there were water spots and stains underneath the ENTIRE screen. Those annoying ones that are really white, as well as some "streakier" looking ones.

I decided to wait for a few days to take it in and get replaced (I had a warrenty but still, who wants to spend $170). What I noticed is that they started to dissapear! First not very noticibley from around the edges but then more and more, and I realized it was whenever my phone was warmer than usual. In a sense the water was evaporating from under the screen. Do NOT use a hair dryer or anything on the screen, but what I did to further the process was turn my navigation map on (because the screen will not shut off then), turned the brightness up all the way, and left my phone on a desk in the sun. Those 3 things combined warmed my phone up and the spots all have dissappeared. I mean it may take a few days of repeating this, and obviously the battery will drain. But my water damage under my screen is COMPLETELY gone. I still can't believe it and I just wanted to share in hopes I can help someone else, because I searched high and low for answers online and it was only because I decided to wait to go into the store to get a replacement that I figured this out.

I hope I can help someone else!!

Sep 23, 2013 2:25 AM in response to annieste

Hi

im having the same problem with my iPhone 5

there are 2 bright white lines still on the screen and tiny white spots on the edge and rice is no longer removing them.

Can you please give more details on how long i should do your method for.

i have already tried it for 2 hours and no change so far.

so how long did you have to leave it out in the sun for all the lines to disappear on your phone?

Sep 23, 2013 11:11 AM in response to Nush_F

I did this for like 2 days while I was at work and it worked for mine. Just try to leave the phone on like I did as well as set it in the sun, that way it has heat coming at the screen from both the front of the screen and the back. So stream a video on netflix, or leave your navigator on so the screen doesn't shut off (an app where it will get the phone nice and warm from the inside). Obviously your situation will be different, but just have patience and try to leave it in the sun using this method at least for the rest of the day and you may see some changes.

I hope it works for you! I had a whole screen full of spots and they were all gone with in 3 days. Patience is the key! 🙂

Jan 9, 2014 10:32 PM in response to parc.s

Hi guys.

from my expriance in electronic (a lab meneger 6 years now):

1. when you applied a wet screen protector install - make sure you turn the device off (water short just when current run on the contacts and PCB)

2. if you have Moisture on device - let your device stay under your pillow for the night. (in hard cases you have to reapt the procses a few times till its take all moisture out).

3. in a case the phone fall into a water - the IMPORTENT thing its the the bateery out faster as you can.

after you can go to a lab/take device apart your self and:

A.clean all Circuits with IPA (isopropy alcohol)

B. Dry pcb with cold air

C. wash contacts with a CONTACTS SPAY

D. let it dry in a home oven 50C for 2 hrs.

have a good luck from ISRAEL.

Water went Into iPhone 5 screen after wet screen protector

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.