Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

just got iphone 5, att internet wont work

I got my iphone 5 a couple of hours ago and set it up. I synced it with itunes, got the apps I needed and put my songs on there. I just went out with a friend and I tried to use the internet, but it said it couldn't connect to the internet. It says ATT on the top with 5 bars, no 4g or 3g though. Calls and texts work. This is an upgrade from my line that had a regular phone with calls and texts, no internet plan. When I ordered this phone from apple, i selected the internet plan of 3gb with att. I can't figure out why it wont connect to the att internet, when I did a google search on this problem, all I found was that you are supposed to connect it to itunes to activate and it should work

any help is appreciated thanks

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 6:13 PM

Go to general/settings/network and make sure that Cellular is ON. If is already on, then call ATT.

7 replies

Mar 20, 2013 8:52 AM in response to CrazyPotatos

Additional information that may help others:

If you activated your new ATT iPhone 5 online and don’t get any indication of an internet connection via cellular data, it it most likely because your Data Plan did not transfer. First try the “Settings/General/Reset/Network connections” exercise, if that doesn’t work, you will need to call the carrier’s tech support.

It is my understanding that the iPhone 5 has different internal ATT code numbers than the iPhone 4. So, when you upgrade to the new phone and activate online, the data plan goes away … a call to ATT tech support will correct this. (They will internally stop your old iPhone 4 data plan and activate a new iPhone 5 data plan, albeit with the same cost/data package.)

just got iphone 5, att internet wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.