Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera connection kit and lightning adapter compatibility

Is the camera connection kit compatible with the new lightning adapter for import photos on iPhone 5?

Anyone does tested it?

Regards

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), mIL

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 10:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 11:37 PM

No it's not.

Have to use adapter.

19 replies

Oct 19, 2012 12:13 PM in response to malboraletti

have the same problem, as a musician I need to connect my USB Keyboard (I mean the musical keyboard) and USB won't work with adaptors (dock to lightning and camConKit didn't work)

so iPad mini won't work as well (or not so well!!)

hope to see some camkit for lightning .. at least.

and: the CamKit DID work for iPhone 4 with USB Keys !! so it's Lightning that does not work for USB - so in fact we have a problem with Lightning in general as musician.

be warned - to date there is NO working solution for that for iPhone5 or newer (ipad mini won't work as well)

Oct 31, 2012 10:17 AM in response to Moogulator

After a quick search in the iOS Dev Library, I did come across this answer recently updated file 10-23-2012, and it says,

"The External Accessory framework is designed to allow iOS applications to communicate only with hardware accessories that are developed under Apple's MFi licensee program. MFi compliant accessories can be implemented as wired devices, meaning they plug in to the Apple device's 30-pin or Lightning connector, or as wireless devices, whereby they use Bluetooth as the communication channel. Either way, an application that uses the External Accessory framework will not be notified of an accessory's presence unless the accessory identifies itself as being MFi compliant, i.e., it was specifically designed to interface with an iOS application."

So after reading this, I am guessing it is an agreement between the manufactures of the Camera Connection Kit and Apple, since they are the ones who developed and made it, I still say it's just a matter of time they will sort out the pin connections of the Lightning connector and the Adapter. Just like I had to buy a Lightning to FW800 to connect my external drives to my MBPwR. Some things may have dropped down the "priority list."

Oct 31, 2012 10:47 AM in response to Markk 11

this looks like it might be very hard for "any" USB keyboard manufacturers (and users) and apple wants EVERYthing to be "certified" or "Compliant", so if this is true for the iPad as well - most musicians will be upset. I HAVE BOUGHT this NEW lightning to USB kit, not the older "microUSB" one for charging.. it's intended to connect to a cam or USB devices

looks very sad to me and say good bye to iPads and iPhones as pro musician devices. I am using iPad2 as long as it works but since I know this I should stop buying apps and go back to non iPad solutions..

but will check what happens. as long as there is no solution I'd say - not recommended for musicians any more - anything with Lightning since it won't be fun to let all those musical keyboards be approved or chipped to work with lightning..

and if they are chipped it may not be a good one..
so sad..

😟

in case this is true..

Mar 26, 2013 7:32 AM in response to paulovip

no, it's not possible on the small devices (itouch 4/iphone 5) - but with any iPad.

it's something only apple can do, but it's a lot more fun on iPad to work with music apps.

with me: I'd like to have iPhone 5 my synth when I am outside my country because it's too much to bring to the show - so having the iPad and iPhone as a synth would be fine - I did that in the past with iPhone 4 and iPad2, but ..

well. forget about iPhone 5 as a musical tools, Apple has killed them by design - but they simply ignore us.

the best is to really to give as many feedback as possible to them - so they can be aware of it..

I am sure they "KNOW" about it since they must have reasons for it - in this case it's just software..

so no - you can not attack any USB MIDI Keyboards anymore..

they are apple, they change things radically .. they have the standard consumer in mind..

sad thing.

<Edited By Host>

Oct 22, 2013 8:24 PM in response to malboraletti

Trying to transfer photos with camera connection kit from iPhone 5s to iPad. Spoke with tech support at Genius Bar who said it would work only if both devices have same iOS version. Dutifully upgraded both devices to iOS 7.0.2 but still would not work. Works fine with iPad/iPhone devices with 30 pin connections. Apple site says works with iPad to iPhone but does not specify models. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2013 8:32 PM in response to jknpt

I once hooked my Touch 4 to my iPad 2 and was able to import the photos from the touch to the iPad.

I just hooked my Touch 5 running 7.0.3 to my iPad 2 running 7.0.2 and could import the photos from the touch to the iPad (had to do the 'trust this computer' to gget them to talk to each other)

If I can do it with my touch then it shoudl work with your iPhone.

But I think the key is that it has to go from another device to the iPad. and photos and video only.

Camera connection kit and lightning adapter compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.