Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to free up "Other" Space on 4s

I have been able to increase my iphone space some by deleting photos and music, but the "Other" category is taking up 4.7 GB! Is there any way to free that space up by removing things? I've deleted a lot of the notes I had on it. Is there a way to delete old reminders?

Thanks.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2012 4:03 PM

This indicates corrupt files.

A restore should resolve.

14 replies

Oct 13, 2012 4:17 PM in response to sharonrollins1

Be sure to back up before restoring. Normally a Restore will make a backup automatically, but it's always best to be safe. Connect the phone to your computer, right click on it and choose "back up". When it finishes click the Restore button on the Summary screen for the iPhone.

At the end of the restore you will be asked if you want to restore your backup; this time say "yes". If Other is still too big repeat the process and say "no". If you do this you will have to manually add back your content.

Oct 16, 2012 6:28 PM in response to Lovely619

The same thing happened to me. I tried to restore several times. At first, I backed it up to my hard drive and restored to that. Then I tried to restore it to the iCloud backup. When that didn't work either (and I'm not sure I was doing it right), I tried again.

After it cleans everything, it will give you the option to restore the phone as a new phone or to restore it with your backup. I am guessing if you start as a "new phone" it will leave the phone essentially blank and you'd have to download apps and put in contacts again. Instead, I gave it one more try with backup. This time I selected to restore it to the iCloud backup. When I did that, it asked me which iCloud backup I wanted to restore to...the one I had backed up at 8 a.m. that morning, or previous ones. It gave me several options in the past few days, so I selected one a day before. This time it restored it correctly with only a tiny bit of "Other" space used. I don't know if that was anything magical, but it did the trick. I hope it works for you as well!

Dec 2, 2012 11:27 AM in response to sharonrollins1

I have gone back and forth with this same problem. The final solution that has seemed to work great for me is:

1. Backup your iPhone to iCloud and to your computer.

2. Confirm the backup in present.

3. Restore your iPhone (blank iPhone)

4. Restore from iCloud. (This procedure may take a while depending on your Internet connection)

5. While it is restoring your pictures and contacts verify that everything is there. It will also be restoring your "other space" so to lower the space you want to stop restoring from iCloud after you confirm your items are back to your phone. Ex. Contacts, pictures, texts....

6. While it was restoring I started transferring my music and apps over manually via my computer.

7. Again, watch for eventing to be restored to the phone and, on your iPhone, click stop restoring from iCloud.

This lowered my "other space" from 3.5gb to .85gb.

Hope this helps.

I'm assuming there is a lot of useless misc data that I cut off but it has in no way effected the performance of my iPhone.

I have noticed that manually adding and deleting music to and from my iPhone increases the "other space." I am now up to 1.24gb in the 2 months.

Jan 8, 2013 11:08 PM in response to JosietheGill

"Other" actually includes a lot of different types of data, including emails and attachments but the one that seems to cause the most issues is messages. Any photos or videos you send on iMessage or SMS (text) are stored in a hidden place inside your phone (the /SMS/Attachments folder in the Media directory for anyone who's interested) and even if you delete that conversation they stick around in that folder taking up space and increasing your "Other". Unfortunately at the moment there's no solution since Apple seems to refuse to fix it.

That's why it remains an issue through a restore and backup (backups of course contain all your messages): when you restore you're putting those ancient, deleted photos and videos right back where they came from. The process you described probably just interrupts the restoration of your messages.

Feb 4, 2013 4:06 PM in response to sharonrollins1

hi people,sorry for my english but i found solution for clean other spase 70%... i read bunch of stupid answer and i try, nothing works...exept one thing, the problem is in itunes sync copy sub folder in music control on iphone

here is right answer... do not restore you iphone, it is not a way to slove a problem...now go!!

Step 1: Turn of sync music in iTunes

When you have synced your iPhone and noticed that “other files” have taken up a lot of storage space on the iPhone, un-tick the “sync music” alternative in iTunes before un-connecting your iPhone.

Step 2: Install iexplorer software on computer/mac

iexplorer is a neat little software that allows you transfer files to your iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad, treating it as a USB drive. They offer a free trial of the software so no need to purchase it first time you have to use it at least.

Make sure your iPhone is connected with the USB when you open up iexplorer. When the program is running, click on the drop down list and choose “media folders”.

Step 3: Go into iTunes Control folder and then the Music folder

iexplorer you will see an overview of all the folders and files on your iPhone. Go to the iTunes Control Folder and then the subfolder called Music. Under the Music folder you will likely see a lot of subfolders starting with “f”.

Step 4: Delete/remove all subfolders in Music

Delete all the subfolders under the Music folder. They include the files that are hogging your iPhone memory under “other files”.

Step 5: Open iTunes and sync your iPhone

With “music sync” still turned off in iTunes, sync your iPhone. This will remove all music files from your iPhone, but keep all other content. Don’t worry about this though, as in the next steps you will sync the music back onto your iPhone.

Step 6: Unplug iPhone and reboot it

Once the iPhone has finished syncing, unplug it and perform a reboot. The reboot is done by holding down the “power down” button at the top right at the same times as holding down the control button. Hold both of them until the iPhone has switched off and the Apple logo appears on the screen before releasing both buttons. This action will reboot your iPhone.

Step 7: Reconnect your iPhone to iTunes and recheck “sync music”

This will put your music back onto the iPhone, and you should not see any of the “other files” taking up any of the iPhone memory. Once the sync is complete your iPhone should be all sorted again.

If you still see “other files” taking up memory on your iPhone you have likely done something wrong or left out subfolders in step 4.

much love from Serbija

Message was edited by: rogy011

How to free up "Other" Space on 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.