Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reduce "Other" disk use?

In iTunes, my iOS6 iPhone4 has 5.1GB of "Other" disk space in use. Any one know what this is or how to reduce it?

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 9:19 AM

11 replies

Oct 14, 2012 9:34 AM in response to Kappy

I use Gmail for email. Even though it isn't a POP account (it's IMAP), you are saying this could take up a significant amount of space? I have it set to show only 50 messages, which are text. I would think this would be extremely small.

What do you mean by data files?

If you mean data used by apps, I don't have many apps. The entire of them take up 1.54GB of space. I don't use apps much. None of these should be consuming much space.

Oct 14, 2012 10:16 AM in response to modular747

Ok. Since everything should be backed up to the Macbook and I decide to go with a new restore, most stuff will come from iCloud:

- contacts

- notes

- calendar

- safari

And music is a drag/drop since I have playlist.

But since this is a new restore, what will not be so easy to put back onto the iPhone or gain access to from the backup? For example, voice memos are not in iCloud and I'm not sure where exactly they will backup. They don't need to go back onto the iPhone but I'd like to have access to them. If I'm not mistaken, voice memos sync everytime in iTunes with a playlist called 'Voice Memos'? I wasn't sure if that is something I created or the backup created.

How to reduce "Other" disk use?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.