Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I bought a secondhand iPhone 4 on Ebay and as soon as I got it, I inserted my Sim card. However, my iPhone could not read it. After putting it in and out, I decided to reset the whole iPhone. Now, it says that I have to insert a valid card . What to do ?

I bought a secondhand iPhone 4 on Ebay and as soon as I got it, I inserted my Sim card. However, my iPhone could not read it. After putting it in and out, I decided to reset the whole iPhone. Now, it says that I have to insert a valid card . What to do ?

iPhone 4

Posted on Oct 20, 2012 12:44 PM

3 replies

Oct 20, 2012 1:22 PM in response to michadeco

What does it say when you look at Settings=>General=>Carrier?

Sounds like you bought a locked iPhone. If so, the only way to unlock

it is to contact the wireless carrier to which the iPhone is locked to see

if they offer unlocking and if you qualify. The other possibility is that

your iPhone has been reported as stolen and blacklisted - in that case,

it will never work.

Return the iPhone for a refund. If the seller refuses, contact eBay for

resolution. But an iPhone from Apple or authorized reseller to prevent

such problems in the past.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.