Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airplay mirroring not working

I just bought a new macbook pro, running10.8.2 and an Apple TV 2.

When I set the mac to mirror the desktop to Apple TV, I'm getting a range of weird results. At different times I've gottten:

* Nothing at all. The Apple TV menus display on the TV and remain accessible.

• A black screen on the Apple TV, with no access to the menus.

• One time, some 30 seconds after I turned mirroring on, the TV suddently displayed my computer's desktop -- from the time that I had turned on mirroring (i.e., some 30 seconds earlier). It was not displaying the current state of my desktop.The image was fixed and did not reflect any changes I made to the desktop content. After about a minute, it snapped back to the Apple TV menu.

Pretty far from plug and play. Brand new equipment and updated software all around. Weird nonfunctional results.

Any advice?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 12:55 PM

41 replies

Feb 11, 2017 9:01 PM in response to AmericanSlang78

I still have this problem; Eithernet cable or not; WMM or not; three Apple TVs 1, 2 & 3… 😟

But the WMM on my router seems to be permanently enabled and cannot delete/disable it.

I can pay music video on iTunes and watch it through my Apple TV, but not i.e. YouTube, via Safari, nor QuickTime or even DVD Player etc.!

(although this is a mid 2010 MacBook, my older MacBook Pro shows AirPlay on top Finder menu. not to mention iPhones, iPads, iMacs etc. etc.)

I'm puzzled!

Oct 21, 2012 12:58 PM in response to beanthedog

About AirPlay and Airplay Mirroring

AirPlay Mirroring requires a second-generation Apple TV or later, and is supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer). For non-qualifying Macs you can try using Air Parrot.

Several Apple Articles Regarding AirPlay

Apple TV (2nd and 3rd gen)- How to use AirPlay Mirroring

How to set up and configure AirPort Express for AirPlay and iTunes

About AirPlay Mirroring in OS X Mountain Lion

iTunes 10- About playing music with AirPlay

Troubleshooting AirPlay and AirPlay Mirroring

Using AirPlay

Oct 22, 2012 1:01 AM in response to beanthedog

Same problem. Just bought a brand new Apple TV. Mirroring only works for one second then Airplay disconnects the clients. I've got iPad 3 running the latest iOS 6 and updated Apple TV to run the latest iOS 5.1. Other video streaming from youtube etc on the iPad does work over airplay. I've got a 802n wifi network with strong signal covering both iPad and Apple TV. I'd love to find a solution if anyone knows how.

Mar 2, 2013 4:06 PM in response to beanthedog

My Apple TV was driving me nuts. I have a brand new 3rd generation Apple TV and a 15" Macbook Pro Retina and an iPad 3. My iPad was mirroring just fine. It'd show up on my telvision no problem, but my Macbook would not. Whenever I tried to get it to connect to my Apple TV, my Macbook would respond by switching screen types, but my TV would either do nothing, go black, or after about 10 seconds throw up a static picture of some image of my desktop. The sound would come through just fine, but that was it.

I tried all the "helpful" hints offered on the Apple site, but nothing worked. I even tried moving some files from my Launch folders in the systems library, but nothing helped. Then after what felt like weeks of work I tried the obvious. My Apple TV was on a wireless network, so I bought an ethernet cord and plugged it into the Apple TV and my router. Now it streams perfectly.

Score on for the Ethernet cord, huh?

Mar 22, 2013 4:43 AM in response to Kappy

AirPlay mirroring is not working properly between my iPad 3 and apple TV2. I get sound on the TV but no picture. The picture is on the iPad.

I have another IPad3 and when I use airplay on that device with the same Apple TV. It works perfectly. So the fault is on the IPad side.

I have updated the software, turned off Bluetooth but the problem remain. How can I solve it?

airplay mirroring not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.