Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

will the iPad 3 get ios updates

will the iPad 3 get ios updates as it is discontinued

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 12:50 AM

15 replies

Oct 27, 2012 5:35 AM in response to saeedhassan

I would imagine the 3 will continue to get iOS updates until APple decides to s top them....like the fact that the iPad 1 will either not get updates or will only get updates to iOS5. So 3 patches for iOS6 could come out that the 1 can't get but if there are any patches to iOS5, the 1 will get them (and any device running iOS6 won't)

Every device hits a point where the hardware can't support the newer software.

Oct 27, 2012 5:46 AM in response to saeedhassan

I had replied earlier but it was deleted.

I will try again , your question is very relevant as the iPad 3 like any compter is really only as good as the software it runs.

The unfortunate situation here is that you and I purchased an iPad ( mine end of last month) which we had assumed based on previous models would remain updated for longer.

I am hopeful that the forthcoming update 6.0.1 may address some issues and improve its functionality ie wireless connectivity etc as mentioned by JimHDK in another thread.

The iPad 3 is discontinued see the wikpedia link discontinued on 23rd October :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipad_3

Jonsiejas I believe that you are indded correct , its 2 years from discontinued date

Oct 27, 2012 6:04 AM in response to Diavonex

Diavonex wrote:

Apple did not say that the iPad 3 is discontunued.

It did not say indeed. Do you always loudly announce your bowel-movements to the world? I gather no.

Diavonex wrote:

It's basically offering another option to their customer.

Yes, we all know that.

Bobwild wrote:

You can order the iPad 3 you need in the http://store.apple.com/us refurb section.

Nope, it's the Refurbished iPad you can order there. There's no such thing as iPad 3 currently, unless you already own one. The Refurbished iPad is NOT the same article, as it has an entirely different price. Cuz it's refurbished. Even if it's not.

It beats me how all those brand new factory-sealed objects became refurbished in an instant. Would've thought it would involve some sort of physical refurbishment process applied. Must been done by the Higgs Boson. Or the fairies. Or Jesus. Either case, it's a huge leap in technology - the miraculous mass-refurbishment!

<Edited By Host>

Oct 27, 2012 6:11 AM in response to Laxman25

Laxman25 wrote:

New ipad 3s were placed in refurbished. Order one and it might be new or used. Luck of draw.

Exactly. Gamblers will love it.

So if a non-refurbished object can be sold as refurbished, by that same rule a refurbished item can be sold as new. How can i be sure that those sold as 'new' aren't in fact refurbished? I would be VERY wary to buy anything from the apple store. It's too shoddy.

Oct 27, 2012 6:32 AM in response to saeedhassan

What's is Bob the fisherman comparing iPad3 to, a coffee machine? That's is a flippant disregard of a serious discussions by aggrieved customers, lots of customers. You can buy a cup of coffee anywhere but an iPad is personal, it has personal date etc, we don't feel possessive of coffee machines.

People grieve and that's a valid response to something they have last of pride in except its been misplaced. Not everyone is as well off as the likes of Bob and for some of us it was a substantial investment in an iPad3. I respect it and its not to be flippantly compared to a coffee maker.

Why don't Apple enable the aggrieved iPad3 owners to upgrade its chipset from A5X to A6X, I'm sure we are willing to stump up the cash to do it. Given there was only a 7 or so months of launching of iPad3 to iPad4, surely the engineers at Apple would have know of this possibility or is it impossible? Has the guts in iPad4 changed so much to prevent an upgrade option? That is profit to Apple and kudos with iPad3 owners?

How about that Apple? ( I don't believe Apple will reply, but I know the Apple Big Brother moderating this thread is watching - so pass it on to Tim Cook, will ya?)

will the iPad 3 get ios updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.