Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Mirroring or HDMI cable - not sending audio

I have a Macbook Pro Retina Display, and I'm trying to connect it to a TV set.

I tried with a direct HDMI cable and via Airplay Mirroring to the Apple TV, and in both ways the audio data is not sent to the TV but I hear it from the Macbook's speakers.

Which are the proper settings to fix it?

Thank you

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2008), OS X Mountain Lion, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:56 AM

Turn on your Apple TV. BEFORE turning on the mirroring, change the output audio on your computer to Apple TV in System Preferences.

5 replies

Oct 21, 2013 8:41 PM in response to wjosten

This is the suggested solution in a number of other threads, but it does not work for me. It used to be the case that if I closed all open applications, put my MacBook Retina to sleep, then it would actually push the audio to my Apple TV after waking up. This no longer works, and now I have to restart my computer altogether in order for it to work properly. This is the biggest source of frustration I've ever experienced with an Apple product. It wholly fails to consistently deliver as it should. It is tremendously infuriating, and, even worse, immensely disappointing. You would think that Apple would fix this, but with each software update, the problem is never resolved. At times, it makes me want to smash my Apple TV box and buy the Google alternative.

Airplay Mirroring or HDMI cable - not sending audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.