Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my iphone 5 beep when talking?

I just got my iphone 5 not long ago but everytime i am talking on the phone it will beep as if there was a incoming call. Does anyone knows why? I've tried restoring it but the problem still exist. What is wrong with my iphone 5? Please help.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:08 PM

22 replies

May 5, 2013 7:29 PM in response to calirain

I've had my iPhone 5 since it came our and had it in an otterbox until a couple days ago and I placed it in a LifeProof case and started hearing the beeps! I was confused thinking I had some app beeping the person on other end of call had something beeping. So, thankful for your post because, reading the comments about the LifeProof case made me know for sure that somehow that was the issue being that I just started noticing it on both days that I had LifeProof.

May 14, 2013 3:40 PM in response to calirain

My iphone 5 does the same thing. A single, very loud beep at random times during the conversation. Other side can't hear it. This started happening after I got the new waterproof case from Incipio. After reading the above posts, I'm wondering whether its a result of the waterproof design somehow? Gortex membrane causing feedback? Would like to hear more on this subject because I like the idea of a waterproof case

May 14, 2013 6:43 PM in response to Westelw

As i mentioned previously it was confirmed that my Lifeproof case caused my phone to beep, I had it removed and returned. The beep has not come back since. I believed it was the heat from iphone trapped in the case that set off the warning beep. There is nothing wrong with the iphone. I just can't believe that company such as Lifeproof can't figure this problem out before putting into the market. For those who still have Lifeproof case on, well...as long as you can bear with the annoying beep, I'll say just keep it. It's a nice waterproof case after all minus the beep.

May 14, 2013 8:56 PM in response to calirain

Again, my case is made by Incipio not LifeProof. I'm not convinced of an overheat problem as any case would hold in heat and frankly the phone doesn't really generate much heat. I turned the earpiece volume down to see if its a feedback issue (I usually set it wide open) So far so good with last call. Forgot to mention that voices sound very metallic with my case on which is why I'm suspecting an issue with the Gortex membrane. Did you have metallic sounding voices with the LifeProof?

May 14, 2013 9:02 PM in response to calirain

I have contacted life proof about the issue and they that there no record of the issue of the beeping noise they did say that the made a lot of improvement with the case and said that they will send me a replacement case as they did the case inside are different then the one so as of right now I have no more beeping noise but I will keep u posted. But call life proof to get replacement

May 30, 2013 9:37 PM in response to calirain

Beep is an understatement. Mine screeched in my ear like feedback from a speaker/amp too close to a mike....deafening. During 14 day trial period.

My incoming call beep has no similarity to this horror noise.

Also, the audio quality on this case was too fuzzy and muffled.

I traded it to my husband, for his new soft case. Problem solved for me. Then he had the screeches in his ear as well, until he removed the Incipio case.

We returned his Incipio case to the store today.

I also had problems with touch pad sensitivity. had to literally hit it repeatedly with a little stylus to get it to respond.

Good riddance. All of these cases are so overpriced. Pathetic.

May 30, 2013 9:49 PM in response to Undoneone

Whichever one of these ( Incipio or Lifeproof) is the hard case, is the one that screeched and was returned. Sorry if I have the names interchanged in my reply. A lot of todo and time wasted on these trivial overpriced accessories, IMO. I

have purchased many waterproof dive accessories with excellent design for less money than these phony phone cases.

Bottom timers, camera cases, dive computers, flashlights.....

It is just a stupid o-ring seal...

Thank you.

Oct 9, 2013 5:32 AM in response to calirain

I had this same issue as well with the lifeproof case (which came out of the box). I contacted Lifeproof and linked to this thread. They claimed they've never heard of this problem but this forum was convincing enough for them. They simply issued an exchange and quickly sent me a new case. A week in and I haven't had this problem reoccur.

I also was having some issues with the touch screen responsiveness with the old case, and now with the new case, they are gone as well. I am curious as to whether the screen face was slightly warped which may have played a role in both problems?

Either way, their support was responsive and quick. No complaints.

why is my iphone 5 beep when talking?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.