Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my iPod deleting all my music?

I find myself in the hideous need to restore my iPod and syncing it back again.

I was just listening to a few songs when then BOOM... Complete silence.

I go into Music and all I can see is this message:

There is no music in this iPod

To Buy music, go to iTunes store.

And the funny thing is that when I plug in my iPod, ALL OF MY MUSIC IS THERE! Intact.

And I describe this as HIDEOUS because I have aprox. 34 GB of music.

Can anyone help me?

iPod touch, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:08 AM

10 replies

Dec 12, 2012 4:06 PM in response to HugoPerez92

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Dec 12, 2012 4:19 PM in response to HugoPerez92

No disrespect, but don't expect a response from Apple in these forums.

I've have seen this happen two more times myself since posting, once to my iPod touch, and once on my girlfriend's iPod touch. Both devices are set to manually manage music, so it's doubly disappointing that some unrequested sync issue seems to be at the root of the problem.

There is a serious issue with iOS IMO. I personally have tried resetting one time, but that did not seem to clear things up. I do not believe this is a hardware problem.

Dec 12, 2012 9:50 PM in response to HugoPerez92

This has started happening in the past 2 months. I sync and sometimes iTunes shows that my iPod has the 20 Gigs of music and then after the sync there are no songs. I have to reset my iPod and sync again and all the music has to be copied up again. It will be fine and then no music after a sync. VERY frustrating. I am turning off wifi-sync as I am wondering if that might have a bug in it.

It seems that this might have started happening after I started adding playlists inside of folders while syncing. I'm removing all playlists from folders to see if that helps at all. It should only be a week until I have no music again so not too long to test this theory.

Dec 17, 2012 6:51 PM in response to realspig

I'm keeping an eye on this issue in iTunes 11.0.1. Please post here if the problem occurs again in 11.0.1.

I have this obscure hope that it has been addressed in 11.0.1 because I've sent multiple bug reports to Apple on this issue, along with a conditional issue where Go to Current Song would not work when the Sidebar was visible. The later issue seems to be fixed in 11.0.1, not sure about the former.

Why is my iPod deleting all my music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.