Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 4s microphone not working

So, my iphone 4s microphone does not work. When i talk to people via phone, i have to use speaker phone. Also, voice memos does not pick up any registered noise. I can listen to music and watch youtube without headphones and the speaker works fine. I don't completely mind the whole speakerphone thing, but i would like to have some privacy if i'm in public. Also, not sure if phone has warranty but screen is slightly cracked in the top right corner so not completely sure if apple would still cover it. If anyone has any kind of ideas on how to repair this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:22 PM

2 replies

Nov 28, 2012 6:24 PM in response to Atvracer40

here's exactly what you can do - make a back up either through itunes or icloud (so you don't lose all your content) then perform a restore through itunes on the summary page - itunes will need to be up to date 10.7 - this will put new software on your device - if your microphone still doesn't work after the restore and your under your limited hardware warranty still and haven't damagaed your phone (physical and liquid) any retail store will replace it for you.:)

Nov 28, 2012 6:38 PM in response to Atvracer40

Like Andy Morgan suggested, try a restore first to make sure its not a software glitch but it does sadly sound like a microphone issue. If you are not technicly minded I would suggest getting it repaired by Apple, if you are a bit of a hacker you can find replacement parts from people like ifixit. I replaced my microphone on my iPhone 4 and it works just fine now. I think it was around 20 bucks.

Good luck 😉

Iphone 4s microphone not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.