Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone deletes notes after editing or making a new note?

Hello everyone. I've googled this to death and cannot find even so much as a hint. My iPhone (iOS 6.0) today began doing the strangest thing regarding the Notes app. I'll attempt to explain it as best I can. I will add that my iPhone is set to not sync notes to iCloud.

I have dozens of notes in the Notes app. The phone is deleting any edited notes or new notes. If I am in Airplane Mode (with wi-fi + cellular off), all is kosher. If I edit an old note or create a new note while NOT in Airplane mode, the phone will delete the note as soon as I hit the "Notes" button in the top left hand corner that returns me to the list. I have rebooted the phone multiple times, closed all apps out of the multitasking bar, tried with connecting to wi-fi only, cell + wi-fi, cell only. Same issue. The new or edited note will remain in the list for a moment, and then with no observable event, just be gone. The list will update itself to go from 76 to 75, for example. I have free space on the phone, it is not full. It will allow me to store photos, videos, and create new alarms. The issue appears to be isolated to Notes.

I realize I could upgrade iOS, restore the phone, etc. but problems such as this should not arise out of nowhere, especially on something as stable as iOS. Can someone give me a clue as to what is happening, and how to resolve it? As you can guess by having dozens of notes on my phone, it's my main note taking apparatus. I'm fairly crippled without it.

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 9:33 PM

3 replies

Nov 28, 2012 11:48 PM in response to Dev93L

Restored it as a new device, Notes works fine. So I went back to my backup. If I unsync my notes from my Yahoo! mail account, I can post and save notes fine. This is not really a great option however, as then all of my Notes dissapear. I could back them all up to my computer, but it's not optimal. Sync back to Yahoo!, same issue. So basically, if I turn off syncing to Yahoo!, issue is fixed, but it deletes all of my notes.

Nov 29, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Dev93L

I've resolved my issue through Apple technical support. I'd like to provide the resolution for the issue so that if anyone happens to have the same problem in the future, he/she may refer to my post here for a solution.

Apple Support had me delete the Yahoo! email account, readd it as "other", and since I could not get the account to authenticate under POP settings, we added the account under IMAP settings. Upon doing this, all notes (even the ones I wrote when the issue was occurring) "magically" reappeared.

Issue resolved; mods feel free to lock.

iPhone deletes notes after editing or making a new note?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.