Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All music gone from iPod Touch. iTunes says its still there.

My iPod touch says "No Content" when I go to 'music'.

In settings > general > usage: it says 40GB is free, which means all my music has suddenly disappeared.

My iPod touch is set to Manually manage all music; always has been & still is.

In iTunes it still thinks all the music is on the iPod, but it wont play. A ⚠ shows if i try to play a track on the iPod. Under the summary in iTunes it says the iPod has 29.5GB of music on it - but clearly it does not.

What should I do? Just resotre the iPod completely?

background info*

I assume this happened a couple of days ago after syncing some photos, but I didnt specifially notice the missing music until today.

Last time I synced some photos it got stuck on 'step 7 of 7' for about an hour - at which point i unlugged the iPod, turned it off/on & synced it again - which then worked. But i suppose this could have somehow caused the music to get lost.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:44 AM

9 replies

Nov 29, 2012 5:36 AM in response to Riquez

The ⚠ means that iTunes can find the actual music file. It is not located where iTunes things it is. Try:

iTunes: Finding lost media and downloads

You can redownloa diTunes purchases by:

Downloading past purchases from the App Store, iBookstore, and iTunes Store

Yes, I would restore from backup. Note that the backup that iTunes makes does not include synced media like apps and music.

Dec 2, 2012 12:05 PM in response to Riquez

I've been experiencing this issue repeatedly with recent versions of iTunes. Each time I laboriously manually restore the music to my iPod. A week or so later, the issue occurs again.

This is an atrocious bug for those of us with iPods set to manually manage music. I would think that using manual manage would totally exclude all music files from being monkied with whenever syncing occurs.

Good luck with your restore. I have to perform another one myself today.

Jan 19, 2013 9:49 PM in response to Riquez

Same thing has happened to me today. I didn't even put anything new into my itouch and didn't sync anything. I always have it on manual options too, but everything is gone except a couple songs and the exclamation points are everywhere. I'm disappointed in Apple. 😟 Ever since IOS6 and the new iTunes came out, things haven't been right. Everything keeps crashing and iTunes is so slow and always freezes. Very disappointed.

Jan 25, 2013 10:51 AM in response to Riquez

Hi there. I have had the same problem recurring intermittently about 5 times over recent months, for no apparent reason - all my ipod touch content suddenly wiped. The only way to rebuild it is to completely restore everything - ios 6 operating software, saved backup data plus the entire itunes & iphoto content from my macbook pro. Obviously very time consuming and worrying. I eventually called apple support (I'm in the UK) and I was advised to trash itunes 11.0.1, download it again from the web and reinstall. Its only been about a week, so too soon to tell, but so far its been stable.

All music gone from iPod Touch. iTunes says its still there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.