Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This version of OSX is not supported on this platform

When trying to boot a 2012 Mac Mini (purchased from apple.com) with the SSD drive from my previous system (a 2009 MBP), I get "This version of OSX is not supported on this platform". The version of OSX is Mountain Lion with the latest updates. I have attempted another drive from another system, and this wont boot on the Mac Mini either. Just for comparison, I can boot the 2009 MBP with the disk that came with the Mac Mini just fine, and that disk still boots on the Mac Mini as well. My question is, how can I get my SSD working? I really dont want to reinstall all my apps, settings, etc.

The MBP 2009 has a Core2Duo and the new one has i7, so I suppose it could be due to that? Are there some files I could copy over from the drive that came with the Mac Mini to the SSD drive, like mach_kernel, that would solve all this and not blow up in my face later?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 9:26 AM

It's because the Mac Mini requires a different version of Mountain Lion than is installed on the MBP. Until a later, common version of OS X is released you cannot install any prior version of Mountain Lion on the Mini. You can only install the version with which it came.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2012 9:26 AM in response to xprsnism

It's because the Mac Mini requires a different version of Mountain Lion than is installed on the MBP. Until a later, common version of OS X is released you cannot install any prior version of Mountain Lion on the Mini. You can only install the version with which it came.

Nov 29, 2012 9:27 AM in response to xprsnism

The Mac mini has, I believe, a special build of 10.8.2 later than the version you can install on any other system, so you will not be able to boot the 2012 mini from a boot drive from any earlier model of Mac. There probably won't be a "universal" version until OS X 10.8.3 is released, whenever that might occur. If you want to use the SSD as a boot drive, you'll have to install the 2012 mini's version of 10.8.2 on the SSD, either by booting to the 10.8 Recovery Partition and installing 10.8 or by cloning the 2012 mini's internal drive to the SSD.

Regards.

Nov 29, 2012 9:33 AM in response to varjak paw

Thanks to both. I already tried reinstalling on the SSD via the Recovery partition for the drive that came with the Mac Mini, but still get the prohibitory sign. The volume name for the SSD changed to "10.8 installation" or something like that. Truly annoying, but I guess I can wait for the common version to be released. Hope this didnt ruin anything since I really want to retain my apps and settings.

This version of OSX is not supported on this platform

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.