Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having trouble pairing new iOS Remote app with iTunes 11

Just downloaded iTunes 11 update yesterday, and downloaded the new iOS Remote app today. My previous Remote app was already paired with iTunes 10, but I opened the new Remote app to find that it could not "locate" my iTunes 11 library. I ended up deleting recognition of that library by the Remote app and tried to pair it from scratch (using the 4-digit code). I cannot find a place in the iTunes 11 interface to input the 4-digit code. I do have Home Sharing enabled on both iTunes and my iPhone. Thanks for your advice.

iPhone 4, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 1:31 PM

Resolved the issue. In case this happens to you, what I ended up doing was deleting the new Remote app and re-installing it. I had to input the Home Sharing login information into the app, and it immediately recognized my iTunes library.

8 replies

May 10, 2013 1:55 PM in response to nonstpflight

Apple is now borrowing for MS, i.e. take a perfectly good interface, like iTunes, or Remote, and completly screw it. The iTunes 11 ***. Remote , which I had used successfully for 7 years, now also ***.

What changed, aside from software revisions in iTunes and remote... i'm a actually using all apple now. I went from a netgear router to AP extreme and Timecapsule. It should work better now, one would think, but its actually much worse.

The writing is on the wall, and that may be why apple's has taken such a nose dive.

Nov 5, 2013 6:49 AM in response to nonstpflight

It's a little confusing the way they make it sound in the app. But here's what worked for me:

1) Delete the Remote app from your iOS device to get rid of the old settings. then reinstall it to start fresh

2) Pair iOS app with Apple TV: If you have an Apple TV, add it via the Remote settings. The iOS app will give you a 4-digit code that you'll have to enter in the Remote settings on the Apple TV itself

3) Pair iOS app with iTunes on your Mac: in the Remote settings in the iOS app, just turn on Home Sharing. (This is the confusing part since I was expecting to enter a code again)

Nov 5, 2013 11:36 AM in response to nonstpflight

***UPDATE***

Good News... My guess is that the issue was bandwidth on the local Wi-Fi, or possible signal strength, but more likely bandwidth.

I had tried reinstalling the app, resetting the APs, w/ home sharing, w/out home sharing, forgetting and reestablishing the remotes, etc....

I had been using a USB network adapter for connecting the iTunes machine to the Wi-Fi. The AP Extreme is on a different floor in the house. However, the adapter was wireless N and the signal strength was fine. Internet was fast but Remote was intermittent at best.

I plugged the PC into the time capsule directly via Ethernet, and now Remote connects to iTunes. Initially it takes a second. Then, it runs in the background on the phone and syncs quickly.

I thought upgrading from iPhone 4 to 5c would fix the issue with Remote, but it didn't.

Here is a screen capture from the APU on miPhone.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

After all is said and done, the average user probably wouldn't have made this work. Prior to iTunes 11, we never had a problem.

Having trouble pairing new iOS Remote app with iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.