Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

manually manage music on a device from iTunes 11 plus podcast bug

hello everyone,

I recently updated to iTunes 11. I have always managed music manually on my devices (iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 3rd). Normally I would plug in my device and then have a look at the list of music on the device and delete or add as required. However, I have been unable to do this since updating to iTunes 11. I can see my entire library, or, I can see the device. But, if I select the device there does not appear to be any way to see a list of the music on that device. To be fair, I have only checked this issue with my phone and not the iPod Touch which is away from home at the moment. There must be a way to accomplish this task; I'd very much appreciate any help you might offer. I do have "manually manage music and videos" checked in the summary tab.

The podcast bug also relates to manually adding and deleting episodes from a device. I subscribe to a bunch of podcasts, more than one window's worth, and when I select a podcast below the fold the list becomes frozen. As well the episode list on the right hand side loses it's scrollbar. The workaround seems to be to select the first podcast again and then the window becomes workable once more. I hope I'm not the first to report this issue as I have not thought the problem through very clearly.

Thanks for reading and any pointers to the music list dilemma I described.

Tim

iPhone 4, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:48 AM

8 replies

Dec 5, 2012 5:30 AM in response to halakahiki82

hello halakahiki82. Thanks for posting. Yes, When I plug in my phone I click on the device button, but I cannot select or manage my music from the music pane because I have "manage music manually" checked in the summary section of my device. When that option is checked the music pane is greyed out and nothing shows.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

This is the same as it's always been, if I recall correctly. In the past, if I would go to the main iTunes window the device connected would appear in that window, below the library sections and the iTunes store section. I could open a couple of windows and manually drag and drop music (or books or videos) from the library into the device, and, manually remove them by selecting them in the device library and then deleting them. This I can't figure out how to accomplish in iTunes 11.

Dec 5, 2012 9:21 AM in response to pandoratim

I had the same problem and I just figured it out. Make sure your itunes window is stretched as wide as possible because the "on this iphone" button will hide if the window is too small.

User uploaded file

See you can't see the button. if you expand you can see it!

User uploaded file

You can make the itunes window larger by pulling on the lower right hand corner. make sure you're pulling right on the little ridges on the corner or nothing will happen.

Once you expand the screen press the "On this Iphone" button. You will then see your music in a similar way to how it used to show up. Underneath the devices and blue "done" buttons there is "Add to" button, click on it.

User uploaded file

When you click on this button your screen will change. Your iphone's music list will show up on the right hand side and your albums will show up too the left. You are now in a place where you can drag music onto your iphone.

User uploaded file

Simply go to the top and choose how you would like to view your music and go from there.

User uploaded file

You can drag music to the right and it will go on to your iphone in a similar manner to the old itunes.

I hope this helps a little. I don't know about the podcast bug so hopefully apple will get back to you!

Dec 5, 2012 5:14 PM in response to 3190Denny

hi 3190Denny,

thank you so much for your post. It's the answer ! I often forget to maximize the window because I usually have 5 or more apps running so I customize the size of my windows on a regular basis. Your suggestion is perfect. Once I expanded the window I could see the "on this phone" button and it's easy to work from there.

Thanks again...

Tim

Dec 8, 2012 9:51 AM in response to pandoratim

hello again everyone,

just a quick note to add that since the 5th when I last posted to this discussion, I have found that the sidebar can still be viewed in the old way. This was news to me and I discovered it accidentally. Apple, I humbly take back all those nasty things I said about you the other day...

Have a great weekend everyone, it's a beautiful, snowy day here on the Prairies.

Dec 15, 2012 8:16 AM in response to pandoratim

Thank you for your post, I too have been grappling with the new iTunes (if it ain't broke - don't fix it) and have found all the posts helpful. However I still have one problem, the playlists that I have succesfully imported into the iPod only show in the 'recently added' and the new playlist does not show in the list of playlists.

Has anybody else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

manually manage music on a device from iTunes 11 plus podcast bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.