Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad says I'm running out space

My iPad says I'm running out of space. When I go to my usage in settings, it says I have 2.1 gbs left. What does this mean. Also, I want to download an app that is 1.3 gbs, but it won't let me because it says I don't have enough space even though I do.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 9:17 AM

10 replies

Dec 9, 2012 9:19 AM in response to The SamJam

The SamJam wrote:

My iPad says I'm running out of space. When I go to my usage in settings, it says I have 2.1 gbs left. What does this mean. Also, I want to download an app that is 1.3 gbs, but it won't let me because it says I don't have enough space even though I do.

It means you are running out of storage space. What size iPad do you have? To free up space remove some music, pictures, movies, apps, data.

Dec 9, 2012 9:26 AM in response to The SamJam

You have 2.1GB of storage capacity left on the iPad - thats what it means but you need more space than what the app is listed at because it will expand after it downloads onto the iPad.

You have to delete some content before you can download the app. You can transfer content into iTunes and then delete it from you iPad, you can delete content directly on the iPad .... But you have to make more space available before you can download the new app.

If you want to transfer purchases into iTunes and delete content, read this about transferring purchases.

Transfer purchases.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848

You can delete content in Settings>General>Usage>Storage.

Dec 9, 2012 1:22 PM in response to The SamJam

The 1.3GB is the download file compressed size (like .zip or .dmg). When the file is installed/uncompressed it can be 2-3 times larger.

How much space is your Other using? You may be able to reduce.

How Do I Get Rid Of The “Other” Data Stored On My iPad Or iPhone?

http://tinyurl.com/85w6xwn

With an iOS device, the “Other” space in iTunes is used to store things like documents, settings, caches, and a few other important items. If you sync lots of documents to apps like GoodReader, DropCopy, or anything else that reads external files, your storage use can skyrocket. With iOS 5/6, you can see exactly which applications are taking up the most space. Just head to Settings > General > Usage, and tap the button labeled Show All Apps. The storage section will show you the app and how much storage space it is taking up. Tap on the app name to get a description of the additional storage space being used by the app’s documents and data. You can remove the storage-hogging application and all of its data directly from this screen, or manually remove the data by opening the app. Some applications, especially those designed by Apple, will allow you to remove stored data by swiping from left to right on the item to reveal a Delete button.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

My iPad says I'm running out space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.