Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5, unable to setup gmail

Never had an Apple anything before and I'm ready to throw the phone on the ground and stomp on it repeatedly. I am trying to set up my gmail account. I've made sure that IMAP is enabled on my gmail account.

• When I go into email setup, I now avoid the gmail option and go to other
  • I enter in my name, email, password, and description, tap next.
  • New Account, IMAP, incoming mail server, I enter the host name imap.gmail.com, my emaill, and password, I do the same for outgoing, smtp.gmail.com, email, password
  • Hit next and it says "Cannot Get Mail, The user name or password for "imap.gmail.com" is incorrect"

Is the username not my email address? I watched a video on youtube and the guy instucting through this process explained you enter your email address. Please help, before I literally throw the thing on the ground and jump on it repeatedly or take it back to the store and keep my Android, which I'm really starting to fall in love with again because of its simplicity.

iPhone 5

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 3:20 PM

2 replies

Aug 23, 2014 7:26 AM in response to deadeena

I solved this problem. It was so simple - click on "Google" to choose the type of new email account you want to add to your phone, not "Other". It doesn't specifically say "Gmail", but it does say "Google".

I picked up my new iPhone 5S yesterday. Choosing "Other" from the list of email accounts, I was not able to set up gmail. I used imap.gmail.com for the incoming server, and smtp.gmail.com for the outgoing server. My username and password were correct, entered over and over to be sure there were no typos. I can't tell you how frustrating this was! What was I doing wrong?? Apparently, you just can't set it up from this page, no matter how correct your answers are.

Choose "Google", not "Other". Once you enter your username and password, voila! It will fill in automatically and a second later, you are fulfilled and happy.

I hope this is helpful to others out there who are, like me, standing here in their pajamas, coffee cup long ago discarded, hair standing on end, wild-eyed with impatience on this weekend morning. At last, I can check my email.

iPhone 5, unable to setup gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.