Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help setting up VPN with OS X Server 2.2

I just bought OS X Server in the hopes that it would be a simpler way to set up VPN for use with my iPhone. I've tried a couple third party VPN configuration tools before with older versions of OSX but was never able to get it working. Now I'm running 10.8.2 and Server 2.2. I've made some progress, but I'm not quite there yet.

Here's what I have set up in the VPN window:

User uploaded file

And the user I created:

User uploaded file

The User services show that VPN is selected:

User uploaded file

I let the Server app configure my Airport Extreme, and it looks like it set up the port mapping:

User uploaded file

Here are my iPhone settings

-Server is set to my iMac's public IP address assigned by my ISP

-Password is the password I gave the user account

User uploaded file

When I turn the VPN on in the iPhone I get:

"Connecting..."

"Starting..."

"Authenticating..."

then an error:

"VPN Connection

Authentification failed."

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Sean

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 8:15 PM

2 replies

Dec 20, 2012 4:46 PM in response to hanefi turkoz

Hi,

I'm sorry, I actually did try L2TP but forgot to mention it. Since it is the default option I was trying that first and it showed no signs of connecting at all. I changed back to L2TP to get these screenshots:

Settings same as above, but L2TP and shared secret was entered:

User uploaded file

When I turned VPN on in the iPhone it said "Connecting..." for about 10-15 seconds and then gave me this error:

User uploaded file

Any toughts?

Thanks,

Sean

Need help setting up VPN with OS X Server 2.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.