Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Different Charger between iPhone and iPad

Speaking of electric chargers, why the following charger can not charge the ipad but it works with the iPhone?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD810LL/A/apple-5w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

Instead this one works with the iPad but does not work with the iPhone?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=3c

What differentiates an iPhone from an iPad, in terms of internal components with regard to the electric charge?

Thank you

iPhone 5, iOS 6

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:39 AM

- The first charger, the 5 W one will charge the iPad with the screen of but the charging will be slow. With the screen on it will show not charging since the screen uses so much power.

- I use my 12 W (your second link) charger for my iPhone 4S, iPad Nanos (3G and 7G) as well as my iPad 4.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2012 10:39 AM in response to fabio168

- The first charger, the 5 W one will charge the iPad with the screen of but the charging will be slow. With the screen on it will show not charging since the screen uses so much power.

- I use my 12 W (your second link) charger for my iPhone 4S, iPad Nanos (3G and 7G) as well as my iPad 4.

Dec 20, 2012 11:32 AM in response to fabio168

The difference is the power requirements for iPads are much higher than those for iPhone.

The 5W charger, on your first link, will charge an iPad mini, it will not correctly charge the regular sized iPad because it does not provide enough power to the iPad. While it may charge it very very slowly when its off, its better to use the appropriate charger.

The second charger, will work with both devices. It will charge the iPhone and iPad as well as many other iDevices as evidenced by the comaptibility list lower down the page which includes all versions of iPhones. It is the 12w charger so it has more than enough power to charge the iPhone, and enough power to Charge an iPad.

Different Charger between iPhone and iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.