Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

headphone jack not working

i was watching a dvd and the sound transfered to the main speakers and now nothing works in the headphone jack. I have tried several headphones and none transfer the sound away from the computer speakers. Can anyone assist me please.

desktop

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:29 AM

7 replies

Dec 23, 2012 4:54 AM in response to thebogieman

Stick a plastic toothpick inside the jack and gently jiggle around. There's a mico switch that can get stuck. If it's stuck, you'll see a red light inside. You want to turn that light off.

If that isn't it, do a PRAM reset. Hold Option(alt)-CMD-P-R down together at the startup chime. Keep holdng for a total of 3 chimes, then let go to finish booting.

Dec 23, 2012 5:35 AM in response to thebogieman

I've had this problem twice in 3 years with my iMac. Fiirst fix was to replace the headphone board inside computer. The most recent failure(this week) was still covered under AppleCare.

I was expecting the same"fix", replace Audio I/O Cable board...well the replacement part was ordered and installed and I'm being told that this still does not solve problem. Now they think my exterior case is "warped" and a new one needs to be ordered and installed.

This seems very drastic to me. I looked at audio jack at back of iMac and it appears that the earphone jack receptical does not aligined perfectly with the drilled holed in the aluminum casing. I'm thinking there has to be an easier way to make this work...any ideas?

headphone jack not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.