Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manually sync Notes and Safari bookmarks via USB cable for iOS device and an iMac with MacOS 10.7 Lion and iTunes 11

"I'm aware that with MacOS 10.8 Mountain Lion there is no support for USB cable sync of iOS devices." Notes and Safari Bookmarks cannot longer be sync via USB cable with iTunes. For owners of iPhone 3G that cannot upgraded the device to a version higher than iOS 4.2, syncing Notes and Safari Bookmarks via usb cable with iTunes is the only option we have. There is no iCloud integration for Notes and Safari Bookmarks under iOS 4.2. I'm not updating to MacOS 10.8, because there is no way to sync Notes and Safari Bookmarks via cable. So I won't be able to sync those anymore unless I upgrade to a newer model of iPhone. I'm not into a new hardware investment, at least not for now. I just want to know if iTunes 11 running in MacOS 10.7 Lion still have the functionality of sync Notes and Safari Bookmarks via USB cable.

iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2, Sync Notes and Safari Bookmarks

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:37 PM

12 replies

Jan 4, 2013 7:13 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

Thanks for clarifying the information. The way I wrote is wrong, I wanted to refer to Notes and Safari Bookmarks manual sync, not general sync such as media and others.

Still want to confirm if notes can be sync manually. In iTunes 10.7, when you click your iOS device's icon on the left menu, and then the info tab on the top, there are several options to manually sync:

• contacts

• calendars

• mail accounts

other

- Safari favorites

- Notes

I want to confirm if "other" still appears with iTunes 11 and MacOS 10.7 for sync Notes and Safari Bookmarks:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2013 9:44 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

With my actual iOS hardware (iPhone 3G), I cannot upgrade to a version higher than iOS 4.2. With iOS 4.2 and iPhone 3G, I haven't find a way to sync Notes via iCloud. The way I do now is to manually sync Notes using iTunes 10.7 with USB cable between the iPhone 3G and iMac running OS 10.7 Lion.

In your screen shot, the "Notes" checkbox is no longer showed under "Other". What version of iTunes you have and what MacOS you are running?

I would like to confirm if the "Notes" manual sync option is still show under "Other" running iTunes 11 with MacOS 10.7 Lion.

I don't want to install iTunes 11 in my system because going back to the previous version is in most cases can be a very painful and time consuming process that I don't want to go thru if I can confirm this information by other person. I don't have Time Machine running.

Jan 4, 2013 10:56 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

Correct. With Mountain Lion, Notes checkbox is not shown as manual sync any more, even with iTunes 10.7. You still have that option when you are in Lion, but not in Mountain Lion.

So my question now would be:

Is "Notes" manual sync checkbox option provided under "Others" in iTunes 11.0.1 with MacOS 10.7 Lion?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Thanks to Steve and anyone that can confirm this.

Jul 16, 2013 8:19 PM in response to jlbr

Mac OS 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.0.4.

jlbr wrote:

I want to confirm if "other" still appears with iTunes 11 and MacOS 10.7 for sync Notes and Safari Bookmarks:

User uploaded file

Yes.

If you are sincing Notes via iCloud, iTunes will tell you so.

User uploaded file

If you change the iDevice - Settings> iCloud > Notes - Off, they sync (or not sync) thru iTunes (either wifi or cable).

User uploaded file

So my question now would be:

Is "Notes" manual sync checkbox option provided under "Others" in iTunes 11.0.1 with MacOS 10.7 Lion?

If you change the iDevice - Settings> iCloud > Notes - Off, then yes.

Jul 22, 2015 9:34 PM in response to Somian

Somian wrote:

How can I disable this

Disable what?

the problem is that the iCloud settings on the iPhone only become available after logging into iCloud, but i'm not supposed to use iCloud on this phone.

Why aren’t you supposed to use iCloud on your iPhone?

if the settings are not available, then there is nothing to disable.

Jul 23, 2015 1:30 AM in response to Chris CA

According to the discussion above, it seems like, if reminders are disabled in the iCloud settings, they can be synced via USB.

However, there's no way to disable remiders without connecting to iCloud in the first place.

I'm not supposed to use iCloud, because I'm not supposed to upload project-related information on my work phone to a third party server.

Manually sync Notes and Safari bookmarks via USB cable for iOS device and an iMac with MacOS 10.7 Lion and iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.