Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need a filter/layer app to dim my screen beyond the standard settings on my iPad 3, similar to the many apps in the Android app store that can dim the screen all the way to pitch black.

I would gladly pay for such an app but it does not exist as far as I can see. This renders my iPad useless to me in anything else but daylight since my eyes are very sensitive at the moment. Any suggestions on what to do? I've been thinking of putting something physical in front of the screen like a flash filter but haven't tried this out yet.

iPad, iOS 6.0.1, iPad is 3rd generation

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 3:36 AM

12 replies

Jan 17, 2013 12:39 AM in response to Mr. Lauritzen

I've found that Cydia has at least one screen dimmer app but unfortunately you have to jailbreak your iPad to use it. That is really a shame. Can anybody explain to me why you can get it on Cydia and not the official App Store? Or why it simply is not a built in function of the iPad that one can turn down the screen light all the way?

Jan 17, 2013 6:34 AM in response to Mr. Lauritzen

Saw this on another forum. Haven't tried it.

Settings App -> General –> Accessibility –> Triple-click Home -> “Toggle White on Black.”

Even though you can't reduce the illumination of the lights in the iPad further without a jailbreak, you can use this system setting to increase the amount of light that gets blocked in many cases by triple clicking the home button.

Another possibility. You gould get two polaroid plastic sheets and overlay them. When you rotate the sheets, you can vary the transmission all the way to dark. This works just like camera polarizing filters.

Send feedback to Apple. Since it can be done via jailbreak, Apple should be able to provide more adjustment.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Jan 18, 2013 4:51 AM in response to Texas Mac Man

Thanks, Tom.

I've been using the 3-clik-invert-colors for some time. Unfortunately it is not effective enough in most cases. Thanks for the idea with the polarizing filters. I have already sent feedback (this is a one way communication). I just wanted to be sure I had not overlooked something.

Also, some browsers have dimmer functions. This helps until I have to exit the bowser or type in a search word.

Thanks again,

John

Jan 12, 2015 5:13 AM in response to Mr. Lauritzen

You likely figured this out since your post but for anyone that find this post now...

Dimming past regular setting choices was built into the new iOS. Works for iPads & iPhones alike. See link below. Make sure to set zoom with toggle all the way to the left (so you are not actually zooming just dimming) AND make sure it is set to full screen. It only has one setting "Low Light" but seems to do the trick for my eyes. During tge day just go in & turn the zoom off to get your regular brightness back as necessary. Hope it helps!

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/2j1bn0/lpt_how_to_make_your_ios_device_ev en_dimmer_with/

I need a filter/layer app to dim my screen beyond the standard settings on my iPad 3, similar to the many apps in the Android app store that can dim the screen all the way to pitch black.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.