Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Web design for beginners

I really just need some advice. I'm an atrist/musician/DJ, self employed. Origonally I had found iWeb and really enjoyed it's simplicity and how user friendly it was. I was still content with iWeb as it was free and incredibly easy to post and update from. Now that it is gone, I am at a bit of a loss. What is the best way to redesign a website as a beginner?

I already pay for hosting and have a temp site up so I would really not want to use any third party design website. I want my files and everything organized on my HD not on a server. I have the entire adobe creative suite; according to people I should use every single one of these programs, but I'm having trouble finding a consistent opinion as to what to do with all that Adobe software.

Everryone seems to favor their own adobe solution but no one seems to agree. Which program (or combination of programs) would be best for a novice in web design?I have wordpress, I still have the last version of iweb. I just don't know where to begin or what programs to use. I can read a (very) small amount of HTML and CSS; definitely willing to learn more as I am by no means proficient. But I would like something that would allow me to quickly get my site at least up and running in a few hours but with the potential for more intricate animations and design elements later. Getting back to having an active site is priority, but really any guidance with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 10:14 PM

7 replies

Jan 12, 2013 10:32 PM in response to ZMcCoN

Agreed iWeb was one of the easiest to use CMS (content management systems.) A real lose.

Try Weebly http://www.weebly.com/ I have seen some nice sites made this way.

The Adobe stuff looked like a nightmire to me, with a steep learning curve. DreamWeaver the worst.

I opted to learn straight up html, xhtml, html5, css, jquery, php. In the long run you have much more insight and control.

Good luck !

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.8.2) 2.4GHz IntelCore i5 320 HD 8GB RAM ParallelsDesktop8.0 iPhone5_iOS6.0.2

Jan 12, 2013 10:24 PM in response to ZMcCoN

I'm somewhat in the same boat - I'm just two months into learning web design (I have over 30 years of experience in print design) and have the Adobe Creative Cloud membership - everything at my disposal. I started out with Dreamweaver (using the Adobe CIB series) as well as a book teaching HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript - this book from Amazon.

I've found that there are no shortcuts to learning web design. Two months into it and I can only create the most basic of sites. I've not yet touched Adobe Muse, just continuing on with learning more about the languages, etc., using, primarily, Dreamweaver.

There are a number of WYSISYG 'editors' out there, but to me they do a poor job of actually teaching web design. So my suggestion is to start with Dreamweaver, using the CIB book for it, and buying the book that I link to - it's great.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 13, 2013 10:32 AM in response to ZMcCoN

I am continuing to use iWeb until something better comes along. I played around with a number of the other WISIWIG apps out there & none of them really give you the flexibility over design that iWeb does.

Here is what I have done with iWeb:

http://jeffnitschke.com

There is an app in the works but no info on pricing or features have been announced:

http://iwebreplacementapp.com

Jan 16, 2013 2:10 AM in response to Jeff Nitschke

That looks really great. And you did all of that with features in the last version of iweb? Did you have any external programs at work? The rreason I stopped using iweb was because it was getting exceedingly buggy in the publishing process. I kept having to change things or dumb them dow (drop shadow effects specifically) so that they wouldn't distort. And hyperlinks would end up nowhere near where I placed them despite the text not moving. It was incredibly frustrating. In the last few days, I've been playing around with Muse and Adobe Edge using Aperture and Photoshop for graphics. So far it's been really great, just way more time consuming than iWeb was.

Jan 16, 2013 10:24 AM in response to ZMcCoN

Creative Suite is overkill for a small personal website and while I am an experience Adobe trainer, for my own personal website I don't use it. iWeb has its good points and bad but one undeniable bad point is that it is no longer being developed by Apple and some day changes in the OS will make it unusable. For this reason I think it is better to spend the time and money learning how to use a program being actively developed. RapidWeaver is my choice.

You don't need to know a single bit of HTML or CSS to use it. Like iWeb it is drag and drop and requires no coding. If you want to learn HTML and CSS you can modify its built in templates to your own specifications or you can purchase reasonably priced templates and plug-ins. It is shareware and you can download a free working copy to give it a try.

Web design for beginners

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.