Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black horizontal line ipad mini Safari

New iPad mini appears to be having problems already. While using Safari in some websites, a fairly thin black horizontal line will appear typically in the middle of the page. It usually gravitates towards the spot where you try to read. Thin enough to kind of underline text for easier reading but big enough to be a nuisance. Is this a feature for easier reading in Safari or a bug.

Please help,

iOS 6.0.1, iPad mini

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 7:41 PM

9 replies

Jan 14, 2013 9:06 PM in response to redeye34

I've never seen this behavior in Safari. Try quitting Safari then do a set of your iPad.

Go to the Home screen and double click the Home button. That will reveal the row of recently used apps at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold on the app in question until it wiggles and displays a minus sign. Tap the minus sign to actually quit the app. Then tap anywhere on the screen above that bottom row to return the screen to normal. Then First thing to try is to reset your device. Press and hold the Home and Sleep buttons simultaneously ignoring the red slider should one appear until the Apple logo appears. Let go of the buttons and let the device restart. See if that fixes your problem.

If that didn't help I'd make an appointment at an Apple store to have your iPad looked at.

Jan 16, 2013 5:19 PM in response to redeye34

It's a bug in the mobile browser. As a web developer often looking at mobile sites, you'll often see these lines in divisions of elements on a website when you zoom in. In reality those lines aren't supposed to be there.

You won't be able to fix it so you may just want to look for a printer view or copy the content and read it elsewhere.

Jan 17, 2013 2:05 AM in response to redeye34

I found this problem as well for my 32gb LTE black ipad mini. I think probably this is a bug of the split keyboard, I found that once u use the split keyboard (and it is docked in the bottom if the screen), the horizontal scroll bar will jump to the top position of the split keyboard after the split keyboard is hide and the web site is enlarged.

This won't happened when a full keyboard is used or the split keyboard is not docked in the bottom.

Feb 17, 2013 12:45 PM in response to rpks

rpks, did the black horizontal line eventually go away on your 32gb LTE iPad mini? I was suspecting my issue is also in relation to the split keyboard, because the line would fall perfectly above where the split keyboard would of appeared.

However, in my case this would arise when I opened a 2nd Safari browser.

My unit is still within the 90 days of purchase. Would you suggest I take my iPad mini in to the Apple store to inquire about how to get rid of the problem?

It seems there are a lot of users out there who have the 'black line issue' and in my opinion looks like a software issue but I could be wrong because I have the latest iOS 6.1 installed. When browsing the community some have commented it could be a hardware problem.

Not sure what to do. But I certainly don't want to wait until my 90-days are up to take action into looking into how it can be resolved.

Feb 18, 2013 1:07 AM in response to -michele-

It's really a matter how many safari that you have opened, it happens when you use the split keyboard in the safari while it is docked in the bottom. I have told the genius of the Genius Bar in HK, most of them do nt aware of the issue, and I have tried several demo ipad mini in apple stores, all of them appear the same issue. Change another ipad mini won't help, I think we just can voice out the issue to apple and wait for ios update.

Apr 8, 2013 10:35 AM in response to -michele-

Michele,

I know this was mostly answered, but I am there with you. It's a very frustrating problem and you are not alone.

Merging the keyboard and splitting it again, as well as hard closing Safari, seemd to fix it, if only temporarily.

Slightly lifting the split keyboard from the bottom seems to completely solve this SEVERELY annoying and temper tantrum inducing problem. It has taken me more time than I'd like to admit to fix this, and I have my doubts that it will work permanently as well.

But anything that MIGHT work is better than dealing with this issue.

It may seem minor to some, but for a lot of us, it is very distracting and annoying.

I keep hoping with each and every update that it's fixed, and am disappointed each and every update.

Black horizontal line ipad mini Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.