Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charger cable breakage ?

I have had to replace my iPhone 5 charger cable ( my phone and other family members cables) 5X since purchase -at $30 a cord this is crazy? Is it just me?

iPhone 5 Charger Cable -OTHER, iOS 6.0.2, Cord keeps breaking (mine/family)

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 11:08 AM

40 replies

Jan 20, 2013 12:05 PM in response to mommyzager

The Lightning Cables cost $19 at Apple. Also they are fully covered by the iPhones One Year Warranty and AppleCare if you have that too. You have to be careful with them, I guess. My cable is never moved around so it is perfect, I just connect the iPhone, leaving cable alone basically. I guess, most users need to move them around, take the cable with them during the day, into the car, work, etc.

Feb 9, 2013 1:46 PM in response to mommyzager

mommyzager wrote:

I have had to replace my iPhone 5 charger cable ( my phone and other family members cables) 5X since purchase -at $30 a cord this is crazy? Is it just me?

My iPhone 5 (and also my iPad 4th gen) get connected and disconnected several times a day using two or three different Lightning cables (bedroom, car, office). I've never had a problem with any of them and I've never taken any great pains to be careful when connecting or disconnecting the iPhone or iPad.

It could be just you--or it could be that you have a bad batch of cables. I know many reported problems with the USB connector early in the production cycle. I never experienced any of those problems, either, and I ordered my cables before they were shipping so I know they are from the first production runs.

Maybe you've been very unlucky or I've been lucky...or perhaps there is something different in the way we handle the connection/disconnection action though I wouldn't know what that would be--as I said I've taken zero precaution to handle the cables in a gentle manner.

Mar 24, 2013 5:40 PM in response to mommyzager

I am currently on my 6th charger since I got the phone in January ! I got it from phones4u they said as it is classed as an accessory my warranty and insurance don't cover it ! So I'm Paying on average £15 every couple of weeks for my phone ! It can't be all these chargers surely ? It must be a fault with the phone ? My charger stays plugged in and doesn't move !

May 5, 2013 9:06 PM in response to mommyzager

My daughter has had her iPhone 5 since January, her cord stopped working a week ago. I have had the iPhone 5 since it came out and now my cord is not functioning. These are definitely not as good as the 30-pin. You could put those through the ringer and they would still work. I do not move my cord and only charge at night, so it's not due to overuse!

Very frustrated.

Jun 11, 2013 6:32 AM in response to mommyzager

I have two iphone 5 chargers that show the exact wear and tear in the same spot. I took it to the apple store thinking it was under warrenty since i have had the phone less than six months and was told that i needed to buy the $100 coverage for the $19 defective cables. Apple used to stand by their new products and replace defective parts but i guess the with samsung cleaning their closcks they now have to resort to lousy customer service. The six iphones in my family are going Samsung.

Jun 28, 2013 3:16 PM in response to mommyzager

Yeah, I just had the same problem with my cable cord. Instead of buying it at the Apple Store, I went to Amazon and got a really good deal for not one cord, but TWO cords, along with a car charger port (is that what it's called?), and an outlet port. Everywhere else, it was like $19+ to get one cable, but I got a whole set for about $8. I love Apple, but sometimes, their prices are too high for me (I'm a student).

Aug 23, 2013 9:54 AM in response to mommyzager

'Tis true, there's something going on with those cables--maybe it's only certain production runs--but there's definitely something. I had one cable go bad on me and my next one is going as well.

The Apple store tried to make me pay for a new one, but relented after I told them firmly but politely that there was no excuse for any cable going bad so quickly.

At our house we have 30-pin connectors that are 10 year old still working perfectly, but the LIghtning connectors, I don't know what's going on.

Sep 7, 2013 9:23 PM in response to mommyzager

I went and bought a new charger after mine stoped working and took apart the old on and noticed its because they are made cheaply.... There is a rubber sleave/coating over a steel braided jacket and then the cords are inside and you have the regular data cordsgreen, yellow,etc...and then the power(red) and ground(black) and i noticed that the steel braided jacket that is kind of like conduit and is suppose to protect the wires was cut short and didnt go all the way into the lightning connector so its either somone is lazy and isnt doing there job how there suppose to or a design that should be fixed and the power cable wasnt connected jsut everyonce in a while it would and thats when i got a charge

iPhone 5 charger cable breakage ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.