Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 charger

Hi, just recently for Christmas I purchased the iPhone 5 and a few days ago I noticed just under the bit you plug into the phone the wires have all bunched up and look sort of twisted around. The phone was only just managing to charge a few hours ago and has completely stopped now. I really don't know what I have done because the cord has only left the wall two or three times when travelling, other then that, that is my problem and I am very curious as to how it happened and what I will need to do to fix the problem. I do use the phone while it's charging which I guess could be a problem but other then that I am 100% clueless. I love my iPhone very dearly and I would just like it to be working again. I am also curious as to whether there will be a price involved to get it fixed or purchase a new charger and if so, how much?

Thank you so much

Emily

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:29 AM

7 replies

Jan 21, 2013 5:55 AM in response to emc

Hello Emily,

The wires bunching up is a common issue with standard charger cables, although I've never heard of it happening this quickly. If I'm correct, that bunching up is actually broken, or frayed wires. I'd suggest purchasing a new charger cable. If you're planning on buying a new cable locally, then price is going to be semi-dependent on your location. There are several options online. You can purchase an OEM cable for around 19 USD and a third-party cable for around 16 USD. I've spoken to individuals that have performed quality assurance (QA) on third-party cables and they're just as reliable as OEM.

Also, it isn't good for the device if you use it heavily (talk) while it's charging. 😉

Feb 5, 2013 4:26 PM in response to emc

My charger "bunched" up around the part that plugs into the phone after only one month. I don't typically use the phone while charging and the charger is usually just left in the same spot so it isn't subject to twisting and tangling or any sort of unusual use or abuse. When I was in the apple store last night for an unrelated problem another customer was there complaining that her new iPhone 5 charger had bunched up after reently purchasing the phone. I wonder if this isn't a manufacturing problem? Any significant complaint volume seen elsewhere that anyone knows of?User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iPhone 5 charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.