Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi please help.virus iPad? I have a iPad 2 , not jail broken, just 2 months old fresh from the apple store. Recently I have been directed to **** sites or a fake bad oink **** application, t

Re: Mail virus and Trojan issues

21-Jan-2013 14:58 (in response to Memoire)

Hi please help.

I have a iPad 2 , not jail broken, just 2 months old fresh from the apple store. Recently I have been directed to **** sites or a fake bad oink **** application, through various applications. From google chrome app, the photon app and safari.

I always delete cookies and cache on exit. I use photon and puffin to watch flash player videos on tv series site with links such as put locker. I heard that there is no virus for the iPad but Trojans do exist.

Pleae help, at first this was just happening with photon app now in 3 different apps, and it is directing me always to the same **** site. I don't watch **** so it's. it from cookies or whatever and my iPad has been randomly turning off and also the videos are working really badly now. Also there is a message red alert staying untrusted site and hacker may be intercepting your device. What is going on? Please help

Is their a new redirecting Trojan or virus for iPad 2. ? If yes how can I remove it and will it cause permanent damage to my device? How could I have got this virus and in 3 apps. I'm also,worried as I use my iPad to buy things online etc with my credit card. What shall I do?.. Do I restore my device? How do I do that as I cannot connect to iTunes as I do not have a computer, just my iPad. Any help appreciated thanks.

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 3:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 3:21 PM

No viruses exist that run on iOS.

21 replies

Jan 21, 2013 3:51 PM in response to Templeton Peck

Yes I heard that to. That's why I was confident that if I watched tv series on put locker links etc I was still ok as ioad can't get viruses. But I d t et why I am getting redirected to these **** sites plus it is in 3 different applications. Do u think it could be a trojan then instead of a virus? If its a trojan how would I get rid of it and how much damage can they do to device?

Jan 21, 2013 3:54 PM in response to Londongal

Ps I wrote to photon app support and they said it was a problem with the website being hacked and not use that website bit it still happens in other apps, ie safar and on really legit sites, like Cambridge university website.. It looks like a virus and if it was on my pc I would be convinced I had a virus,it's just the act that its an iPad makes it more strange. Whether my device got a virus or trojan or not, I would just like to know how to get rid of it, and how to stop getting redirected to these nasty sites that embarrassingly pop up at the most inappropriate times.

Jan 21, 2013 6:11 PM in response to Londongal

This is definitely not due to malware of any kind. There is no malware of any kind for a non-jailbroken iPad... no viruses, no trojans, etc.

As to what's going on, it sounds like it's happening on multiple sites and multiple browsers. That means it's unlikely to be something as simple as a hacked site, and it's also not going to be some kind of bug or error in a particular browser.

Really, all that is left at this point is a network issue. Something is probably wrong with the network or network settings that you're using. What happens if you use a different network? Go to your local library or a Starbucks or somewhere like that, where you can get free wifi, and test it there. Do you see the same thing, or does the problem go away.

Another thing to try is to change the DNS settings to use a DNS server different than the one you usually use, such as the OpenDNS servers. See:

http://techinch.com/blog/change-your-dns-settings-on-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad

Mar 23, 2013 2:14 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Of course the iPad (an ALL IOS PRODUCTS) can get infections! From Trojans, to viruses, to malware. Apple has serious issues with system vulnerabilities. The bigger problems with 10.7 and 10.8 - and the synchronized systems have quickly rolled to the iOS systems with a vengeance. AND IM ONE OF THE 100 MOST HIGHLY CERTIFIED APPLE IT CONSULTANTS IN THE COUNTRY. Apple still uses snow leopard, staff aren't allowed to bring in iOS devices due to the obvious issues with their systems- the irony is ridiculously staggering. With mountain lions smoother integration of OSX and iOS and 2012 apples year of malware disasters. I see MANY iOS infected products professionally. You want to know for sure, check out the websites your iOS device has visited. If its going to sites your not- BAD NEWS. Look at your logs. Aggregation and crash logs, indicate infections. Or just look- apple is making tech news again, for finally addressing IOS short comings.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/03/after-leaving-users-exposed-apple-finall y-https-protects-ios-app-store/

I'd appreciate is so much more if apple would admit systems aren't bulletproof and train users to be prepared, cert exams cover all this crap in detail. They are well aware of it....

Mar 23, 2013 7:20 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Happily- perhaps the most legit tech site on the Internet- cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57506159-83/apples-ios-and-android-are-new-favo rite-malware-victims/

They broke a story on sept 4, 2012 titled "apple's iOS, the new favorite malware victims"

Also Forbes and Huffintigton Post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/06/26/yes-apples-machines-really-ca n-get-viruses

The forbes article highlights the massive issues in apples architectural system security protocols both is iOS and osx, and is titles- YES, apples do really get viruses (they also called 2012 the year of apples malware catastrophes)

But huffington post wins, dropping the dime when the kepersky labs found the massive vulnerabilities and hackers programming flashback19 alterations for iOS- in June, 2012.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/15/iphone-malware-kaspersky_n_1515074.html

But a google search for iOS viruses will ironically take you to apples links- 6.1.3 (if you read up on it) is an attempt to deal with some of the issues. And legit IT sites NOT making profits off apple sales have been discussing this for quite some time. BUT WHAT WOULD I KNOW... I only hold EVERY PRO IT CERT APPLE HAS, and own an apple IT consultation business which has been utterly plaugued by the outbreak of infections since flashback last April. Need more, or can you try google yourself? Try the KB article database where apple stores it supporting articles for IT info- or ask anyone who works help desk at apple- **** yes they get infected, the Bluetooth shares the infection like wildfire and entire systems collapse. It's disastrous when it occurs in a networked system.

Mar 23, 2013 7:53 AM in response to AlaskanElizabeth

AlaskanElizabeth wrote:

Happily- perhaps the most legit tech site on the Internet- cnet:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57506159-83/apples-ios-and-android-are-new-favo rite-malware-victims/

They broke a story on sept 4, 2012 titled "apple's iOS, the new favorite malware victims"

Despite the dramatic title of the article, the only mention of iOS in the body was this:

Even though malware is increasing in iOS, it still remains relatively low compared with other operating systems.

And, it provides no examples or other documentation. And, unlike you, I don't consider CNET "the most legit tech site on the internet". I find them to be generally biased in their reiviews and heavily influenced by advertisers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/06/26/yes-apples-machines-really-ca n-get-viruses

The Forbes article descibes issues with the Mac OS, of which there always have been some, though certainly far fewer than there have been on the Windows platform. It goes on to speculate :

All those iPads, iPods and iPhones? Is this going to be a juicy enough target for the virus and trojan writers to at least attempt to attack, even given the difficulty of doing so?

Again, the Forbes article doesn't mention any current viruses, trojans or malware that exist which will affect an unjailbroken iOS device.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/15/iphone-malware-kaspersky_n_1515074.html

And, the HuffPo article quotes Grebennikov thusly:

"Our experience tells us that in the near future, perhaps in a year or so, we will see the first malware targeting iOS," Nikolai Grebennikov, Kaspersky's chief technology officer, told Computing.

Again, even Kaspersky doesn't say such things exist now, merely that they might.

Speculation about what might happen in the future or articles focusing on the Mac OS or Android are not terribly relevant. So, if you do have any other citiations, preferably from a source that doesn't derive most of is revenue from the companies it reviews, that document a virus or trojan that affects an unjailbroken iOS device, I would be interested. I have not been able to find any. I thought, perhaps, as a professional, you might know of some.

Thank you.

Mar 23, 2013 10:40 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Maybe apple themselves can convince you? Obviously you're not at all a pro in the tech industry, but here's a (as best j can simplify it) breakdown of ios 6.1.3 updates and overhauls- IT'S ALL ABOUT SYSTEM VULNERABILITIES-

I do appreciate your dedication to apple- but let's look at 6.1.3- and I will try to simplify some huge concepts apple has been vague on releasing details, there are 4 major system updates that are occurring- all are considered security based updates-

1) dyld: this was a vulnerability in the Mach-0 executable files, making any accessible device (so if you we're in range of a jailbroken and infected ios system or malware ridden Mac) vulnerable to Mach-0 files overlapping segment causing devices to not execute fundamental Mach-0 files any longer and allowing aggregation of these files. Mach-0 are one of the first op system boots after kernels and daemons, they run virtual memory, string program architecture together to make an op sys, delegate the CPU and library fundamentals, and MOST MALWARE REACTIVE- they define ACLs or permission settings on the hierarchy of a filing system (the first thing malware attacks).

2) kernel: this also is a local range issue- any contact can instantly make system vulnerable. It causes something called an information disclosure in the ARM prefetch abort handler. This is also complex as a process- it works with java scripting and http/HTML in ios, this is a security system that is bypassed so that illegal data can be fast tracked to kernel functions (most basic and essential codes- constantly running in system backgrounds, graphical interface makes up less then 20% of an op sys). Once this system is broken down, it allows illegal data to move constantly through a device, stops system resets from being successful, and interjects illegal processes using talagents - transparent coding moving at base functions behind the system at the most basic boot levels, making removal extremely challenging.

3) lockdown: vulnerably accessible devices are susceptible to core file permission settings on symlink core files, system files and creating a new daemon (2nd code booted on a system) called lockdownd infecting cloud, backup and recovery systems.

4) USB: a vulnerable device is susceptible to its kernel coding being executed arbitrarily resulting in a IOUSBFamilyDriver Device Pipe being created with their device as a user space. This is ultimately makes the device accessible globally at all times to the members of that device family, pipes data through the device, creates an interface allowing info to be removed and the system config to be constantly altered on the device, and for the device to run an input output loop of info (like spreading the infectious processes) at all times.

SOOOO.... If this wasn't infected malware systems- why the heck would apple drop such a HUGE COMPLEX SECURITY UPDATE for non-jailbroken phones (jailbroken phones can't take system updates) if there weren't massive vulnerabilities. I realize this **** is way over your head, it's complex IT. But apple doesn't update security till they have to. They sure as heck didn't explain this update to the mass public. Unless you write advanced code and have a solid background in systems- this isn't easy to grasp or swallow. Guess that's why some of us are buy ios devices- and some of us are professionals.

Mar 23, 2013 11:00 AM in response to AlaskanElizabeth

Hey, glad to see you are so proud of your so-called abilities, but your assessment is incorrect. Yes, Apple does try to stay ahead of the security game, espeicially with the current Chinese situation, but putting out security updates (and 6.1.3 was not a primary security update although it did attempt, again, to block jailbreaking) is not the same thing as having vulnerabilities.

Since you are the professional here, and none us mere mortals here, even if we are in the business, would know as much as you, could you please provide a current active example of malware, spyware or a virus that is in the wild and can affect a non-jailbroken iPhone?

Hi please help.virus iPad? I have a iPad 2 , not jail broken, just 2 months old fresh from the apple store. Recently I have been directed to **** sites or a fake bad oink **** application, t

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.