Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 5 Freeze: Won't shut down

Why would an IPhone 5, about a year old, fail to activate its' shut down sequence when the main power button is depressed? We've had repeated occasions where we try to hold the power button down, expecting the shut down slider, but NOTHING happens.

The screens are still active, and apps are still usable. It fails to turn off!

I activated the extra "touch options" in settings and shut it down with an alternative sequence.

I did a soft reset and it works fine now.

But why would the actual hardware shut-down button not work at all? Not the first time, hopefully the last!

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 5:48 PM

Probably because the switch is broken. Your iPhone 5 cannot possibly be a year old, however, because they have only been available for 4 months.

4 replies

Jan 29, 2013 5:59 AM in response to drshame

There's an advanced "Touch" setting that gives you another shut down option independent of the power button.

It shut down the phone. I did a soft reset on start-up and it seemed to fix the problem.

We'll see if it lasts.

I suspect the daughter never turns off the phone, so it may have developed a software glitch that needed re-setting.

Feb 1, 2013 7:08 PM in response to drshame

Quick Update:

Non functioning power button again led to inability to power down Iphone. It was talken back to Apple and replaced without any problems. They recomended setting it up as a new phone rather retsoring under the old back up.

Of course...my daughter ignored them so she wouldn't lose all her contacts. So far, it's working fine and hope it stays that way.

IPhone 5 Freeze: Won't shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.