Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone locked after interrupted IoS upgrade

My iPhone 3GS is locked after an interrupted update to the latest IoS update (6.01?). I tried to reset using the home and off buttons: the phone turns off, but then when it starts to boot it displays the apple logo on and off at 5 second intervals. I tried connecting it iTunes, but doesn't get recognised.

Any way of resetting?

Thanks,

Brian

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:10 AM

7 replies

Jan 29, 2013 3:13 PM in response to bjgannon

To put iPhone in DFU mode:

Step One

Open iTunes and connect the iPhone to your Mac.

Step Two

Press and hold the Home button and the Sleep/Wake button at the same time.

Step Three

After exactly 10 seconds release the Sleep/Wake button. Continue holding the home button until you iTunes pops up a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

When you did this, your iPhone have a blackscreen. It is in DFU mode. Now try again to restore via iTunes. Hope this will solve.

Jan 29, 2013 3:22 PM in response to bjgannon

Try another USB port, another usb cable or another computer. Some of this could work.

If not, try this:

• Quit iTunes
  • Locate your hosts file, in Mac OS X this is /etc/hosts and in Windows this is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
  • Open the hosts file with Administrator privileges
  • Add the following lines to the very bottom of the hosts file:
  • 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
  • Connect your iPhone to the computer
  • Launch iTunes
  • Put the iPhone/iPad/iPod into DFU mode by turning the phone off and then holding down the sleep and power button for 10 seconds, then release the power button but hold onto the home button until iTunes tells you that the device is now in recover mode
  • Use the iTunes Restore feature as usual with the iOS device

iPhone locked after interrupted IoS upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.