Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad 2 locked up during iOS 6 to iOS 6.1 upgrade.

On January 28th, 2013, I attempted to upgrade my iPad 2 operating system, iOS 6 to iOS 6.1. During the downloading process, the iPad 2 locked up 1/3 of the way. I've tried to power-on-reset (POR) using the on/off switch + home button to no avail. My iPad 2 is a "Vegetable." It's locked up with the Apple Logo on a blank screen. This process has been ongoing for over 12 hours. In addition, the iPad's screen flashes on and off every 30 seconds with just an Apple Logo displaying. PLEASE HELP ME . . . I'm desperate!

jleach@surewest.net

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1, Attempted Upgrade to iOS 6.1

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 8:55 AM

If you have the sync cable connected to the iPad, disconnect it but leave it connected to the computer. Hold the power and home buttons until the iPad is off (nothing shows on the screen) and release it. The iPad should now be powered off. Hold the home button and connect the sync cable - keep the home button pressed until you see a picture of the cable and iTunes icon on the iPad screen. On your computer you should see a dialog box indicating the iPad is in recovery mode. You'll be told you are about to restore the iPad to factory conditions. You'll have a lengthy download while the OS is downloaded and restored and then you'll have to restore your apps and music from a backup.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2013 8:55 AM in response to JamesfromGranite Bay

If you have the sync cable connected to the iPad, disconnect it but leave it connected to the computer. Hold the power and home buttons until the iPad is off (nothing shows on the screen) and release it. The iPad should now be powered off. Hold the home button and connect the sync cable - keep the home button pressed until you see a picture of the cable and iTunes icon on the iPad screen. On your computer you should see a dialog box indicating the iPad is in recovery mode. You'll be told you are about to restore the iPad to factory conditions. You'll have a lengthy download while the OS is downloaded and restored and then you'll have to restore your apps and music from a backup.

Jan 29, 2013 3:53 PM in response to dwb

Thank you, SOOOO much, dwb. I'm on the way toward the restoration process of my iPad 2. I'm 1/2 way done with several interrupts when iPad 2 attempts to shut down on its own. I repeatedly fix that problem by holding the power and home buttons simultaneously until the iTunes icon on the iPad screen reappears again. I'll let you know at a later time when restoration of operating system, apps and music have been completed . . . Jim L.

My iPad 2 locked up during iOS 6 to iOS 6.1 upgrade.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.