Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time capsule as stand alone unit

Hi everyone, Can anyone confirm that I can use the time capsule as a standalone wifi harddrive that I can down load movies to my ipad and watch them?? I travel alot and want to take my movies and tv shows on harddrive for watching at later dates also for my work colleagues to download a movie as well, ive got a seagate satellite but 500gb aint enough, can someone please confirm this for me as from what im reading the unit emits its own wifi signal which i could join and download films using something like filebrower? thanks and regards Steve

Time capsule

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 12:00 PM

4 replies

Jan 29, 2013 12:56 PM in response to stevenobrien129a

Yes, you can do that.. of course you have to have a player on the iPad as the TC cannot stream.. and you cannot use iTunes.. so the source material will need to be in a format that the player can use.

Copying large files over wireless is a pain.. but if you have the latest iPad from v3 at least.. they can connect at 5ghz and that will give much faster connection if you are in range of the TC.. The TC is no lightweight unit though. It is 2Kg aprox.. 4lb.. carry an ipad for weight reduction will be completely negated by carrying the TC.. you might be better with an Air and a portable drive.

time capsule as stand alone unit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.