Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s stuck in recovery mode during 6.1 update

My brothers iphone 4s got stuck in recovery mode when it was upgrading it to 6.1

I´ve tried to restore it with itunes and had no luck. Even tried to do so with DFU mode and it keeps telling me Error 36.

I´ve done this on a PC with Windows 7 x64, and on a Mac with Mountain Lion, both with the latest iTunes version and no security software blocking anything.

I´ve checked hosts file and it´s clean.

The iphone starts restoring (apple icon and the completition bar) and then it reboots and gets back to recovery mode.

PS. I´m an advanced apple/windows/iphone user.

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 5:25 AM

7 replies

Feb 1, 2013 5:36 AM in response to .tomaZ

1. Disable ALL security apps (firewall, antivirus/spyware, etc.) running on your computer.

2. Plug your phone into a USB port on the computer, not an external hub or keyboard port.

3. See this support article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1275

"Error 36"

These errors typically occur when security software interferes with the restore and update process. Follow Troubleshooting security software issues to resolve this issue. In rare cases, these errors may be a hardware issue. If the errors persist on another computer, the device may need service.

Feb 27, 2013 10:06 AM in response to .tomaZ

My brother in law traveled to Las Vegas a took the phone to an Apple Store. They told him the "fix" costed 199usd. Saddly the warranty expired 10 days ago so he had to pay that and they gave him a new 4s (of course with a software fix the will sell mine as refurbished)

I think Apple did very wrong this time. Hope someone has better luck than us.

iPhone 4s stuck in recovery mode during 6.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.