Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 dies during an iOS 6.1 update. iTunes won't Restore.

My iPad 2 hung during an iOS 6.1 update. The Apple logo comes up briefly, then the "connect to iTunes" graphics. iTunes attempts to restore it, but gives me a message that the software download is corrupt, and to try again later. After 8 tries, still the same problem.I can't switch off the iPad, and I've tried the home/sleep button reset in various forms. Any ideas please?

iPad 2, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 9:56 AM

16 replies

Feb 1, 2013 4:19 PM in response to Demo

Demo wrote:

If you want to try recovery mode which is what Apple recommends if you are unable to update or restore your iPad, go here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4097

If you want to manually download the update go here.

http://osxdaily.com/2013/01/28/ios-6-1-released-download/

Thanks Demo, but iTunes recognises that my iPad is in recovery mode already, it is the download of the iOS that iTunes says is corrupted, and why the process cannot be completed.

As for downloading manually, I can't get into the iPad to do this - I can't even switch it off properly. The screen goes dark for a few seconds, then I get an Apple logo for a few seconds, then the "connect to iTunes" screen. iTunes tries to download the iOS, but then it's back to para 1 above. I think I might have an issue with a low battery - when I plug it into a charger, there is no bleep to say its actually charging, and not charging symbol. Is there any way to "force" charge in case that is the situation?

Feb 1, 2013 4:55 PM in response to pv123

I don't know of any way to force the battery to charge. I tend to think that you can't hear the charging charge because the software has gone haywire but that's obviously just a guess. The iPad could very well be recharging but because the software is on the fritz, it is not indicating that its charging.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were caught in the recovery mode loop. I didn't pick that up from your post. When you get stuck in this recovery loop, what I have heard of trying (as bizarre as it sounds) is to let the battery run down completely - recharge the device and then try to restore again. I really have no idea if that works, but I have seen it suggested here.

Unfortunately its way too late for this now, but it seems like this update has caused issues with quite a few iPad2 users. There have a number of posts from iPad 2 users astatine that the download was corrupt or that we went straight to recovery mode and can't get out of it now.

Feb 2, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo. I'm reluctant to click the "this helped me button" but truth is that it's helpful to know I'm not the only one in this situation.

Hopefully Apple will instruct its service centres to fix this for free - for all intents and purposes this is a piece of malware delivered by Apple directly to some of its customers.

I've booked an appointment with a Service Centre to get this fixed - in the meantime I'm in iPad cold turkey.

Feb 2, 2013 10:16 AM in response to pv123

Keep the discssuion alive anyway. Hopefully someone else does have a fix. There is another fairly long discussion going on about this and I don't know if you have seen it. Maybe something in there will help. Here it is.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4758270?answerId=21116736022#21116736022

Look at nebraskasck's fix in this discussion, I was in this as well.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4758694?answerId=21083119022#21083119022&ac_cid=sa123456#21083119

Feb 2, 2013 11:43 AM in response to pv123

pv123 wrote:

GrumpyGator - my iPad alerted me to the fact that there was an update available, and it let me start downloading directly on the iPad. This is what I did on my iPhone and there was no issue.

So you are adverse to trying the manual download because if it worked on the phone, it should work on the iPad? Am I misunderstanding what you are stating here now?

After having reread this now, what Grumpy is suggesting is that you download the file in iTunes on your computer and then you can direct the file to be installed onto the iPad. I didn't pick that up from what you had responded to me the first time. You don't do it on the iPad, you do it in iTunes.

Whether you had success updating the phone over the air is really quite irrelevant, if you want to get your iPad up and running again. When the incremental update to iOS 6.0.1 came out, I updated my iPad OTA and it was a breeze. Unfortunately, it didn't go quite so well with my iPod Touch when it tried to update over WiFi. That didn't stop me from connecting to iTunes and doing it the old fashioned way - and the old fashioned way worked.

It might be worth a try using the manual downloaded file.

Feb 2, 2013 12:19 PM in response to pv123

I've been reading many threads as it pertains to this issue. It seems to be affecting mostly ipad 2, most other devices seem unaffected.

I was able to download iOS 6.1 to my ipad 3 and ipod 4 via wifi with no issues at all.

If it were me experiencing the issue, I would try anything that seemed reasonable. Especially if numerous users with the same issue were proclaiming success with the suggested resolution.

Feb 3, 2013 2:54 AM in response to GrumpyGator

Guys - thanks for cajoling me through the recovery - success at last!

I've been trying to update through iTunes since the problem occurred, working my way through the fixes on this and other threads. I also took my iPad to a registered Apple supplier who tried to update from a computer different from mine with an uncorrupted download.That didn't work. My iPad generally sits in a fridge magnet in my kitchen, where it acts an online cookbook, recipe research and archive tool. IT isn't my skill set, and I didn't have any idea what an IPSW file was until mentioned here.

There are a number of fixes for the iPad2/6,1 download crash on this forum. Some have worked for some users, this is the one that finally worked for me.

Assumptions: your iPad2 crashed on downloading 6.1, wouldn't switch off properly and that you kept getting the "connect to iTunes" page, and iTunes then asks you to restore, but gives you a corrupted file message after it has downloaded the new system. I have a Mac mini desktop.

Here's my recipe:

1) Find out which iPad2 you have via this link - there are a number of choices. For Wifi only models like mine, it will either be the older (2,1) or newer (2,4) iPad2

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1395

2) You need this info to choose an appropriate IPSW file. An IPSW file contains the specific iPad2, iOS6.1 firmware that you will download to your desktop computer.

Choose the correct IPSW file from this page - the ones for iOS6.1 are at the bottom of the list before the Comments section.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/11/02/download-ipad-firmware-ipsw/

Ctrl click on the appropriate file and, without renaming it, save to your desk top so that you can find it easily.

3) Hold Sleep and Home buttons on your iPad until the screen goes black.

4) With iTunes open on your desktop, plug your iPad in via USB cable

5) iTunes will prompt you with a number of messages to restore your iPad.

When you get the actual Restore button on screen, don't just press return, Alt click it. This will then give you a Finder window. Go to your Desktop - should be an option on the left panel of the Finder window. Choose the IPSW file you downloaded onto your desktop and press OK. It will then start to load the IPSW file to iTunes.

6) In my case, iTunes did all the work from there, downloading the file and updating my iPad. I lost all data and Apps loaded since my last restore on iTunes. Not the end of the world, just a reminder to backup more often.

7) Your iPad will behave as if it's brand new, and take you through a few screens the first time you use it. You will have to put in your home WiFi network password again. That's it.

Grateful if the grownups on this site could have a look at this to see if I've missed anything. Thanks again for all the help on this forum.

iPad 2 dies during an iOS 6.1 update. iTunes won't Restore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.