Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do I need antivirus for my iPad 4

Do I need an antivirus for my iPad 4

iPad

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 2:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 2:37 AM

I'm not aware of any viruses for iOS devices, and there aren't any 'proper' anti-virus app in the store. you can only install apps on the iPad via the app store, so everything goes through Apple's vetting process, so you shouldn't be able to get viruses or malware.

11 replies

Dec 24, 2013 11:37 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Ralph Landry1 wrote:

There are no anti-virus programs for iOS devices.

This statement is blatantly false type "antivirus" in the search field on the app store, and you will see plenty of A/V programs you could install. The question is.....is there really a need for it? IOS with it's restrictive software installs and extremely regulated connectivity and functionality means users can and should feel pretty safe yet ever vigilant.

Ralph Landry1 wrote:

there are no known viruses that can infect an iOS device.

It is never the known threats that you should be worried about, and a secure OS experience, is not the same as an invincible OS experience. Nearly every app on the app store is actively tracking you in some fashion or another pop-ups are built directly into most if not all free apps that function exactly like many browser hyjackers, and adware threats common to pc's. From a user standpoint is there really any difference?

You should be aware of what and where you are going, and deciding how trustworthy the sites you are going to are, on the Ipad just like on a PC, and dare i say it MAC. Apple has sold for years just how secure their systems are when in fact in most ways they are just as open as their windows counterparts.

The real question i have is...... If IOS is so safe, and apple approves each app on the market, why are they allowing companies to defraud their users selling fake/unfunctional/worthless/unneeded A/V products?

P.S. I am sorry if it seems I am picking on you Ralph you just had easy to quote lines I could have quoted from most of the users in this thread, I simply don't agree with. As much as I love my Apple products I refuse to drink the cool aid. Apple is not perfect and neither are their products

Dec 24, 2013 4:44 PM in response to Beefy1212

Beefy1212 wrote:

The real question i have is...... If IOS is so safe, and apple approves each app on the market, why are they allowing companies to defraud their users selling fake/unfunctional/worthless/unneeded A/V products?

There are anti-virus programs available that will scan emails and documents for viruses that could affect (generally Windows) computers. It is possible that such code, though harmeless on an iOS device, could cause a problem if it were transferred from the device to a computer.

do I need antivirus for my iPad 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.