Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4s keeps restarting itself after shutdown/battery draining quick/no sound after restart/ iOS 6.1

I bought my first iPhone 4S thirteen months ago (Jan 2012). After upgrading iOS to 6.01 and now 6.1 I have discovered some strange and nasty behaviours.

The first noticeable thing is the iPhone restarts itself after every shutdown and don't play any sound at all (no sound when using the keyboard, no sound from music app) and no sound control with external buttons. But the ring sound function is working normaly !

I have cleaned the connector with a toothbrush but I think dust into the connector is not the cause of malfuncionning in my case.

After 3 to 5 minutes, the sound function is back again without doing anything !

The only way the iPhone stay off after shutdown is when it's plugged on a power source with a computer or a charger.

And the last noticeable effect after iOS updating is the fast battery draining, 1 per cent every 2 or 3 minutes, even when the phone is supposed to be on sleep mode. Last night i left the iPhone sleeping with 100% charge in Airplane mode and six hours after i found the battery was at 80% !

It seems the iPhone don't sleep at all and some processes are always running in the background even if they shouldn't. I can confirm this checking the usage stats, finding that standby time is very closed to the usage time (few minutes less for usage).

I made many tests and four restore procedures, including restoring the iPhone as new in two opportunities. No solution at all !

Now, i am using my iPhone 4S in a very conservative way, as i have to turn OFF the 3G, GPS, WIFI, Exchange and iCloud funtions to be able to use the phone basic functions during a working day !

In conclusion, i think we (because many iPhone 4S users are concerned) are facing :

- a defective hardware

and/or

- a buggy iOS 6.01 or 6.1

In all cases, APPLE is responsible for fixing this situation.

I pledge firstly for a one year extension of warranty period and the launching of an exchange program.

I think we (iPhone 4S users) also need a technical assessment to know what are exactly the buggs inside iOS 6 that produce such battery draining.

I hope APPLE will communicate soon on these matters !

Best regards

Denis

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1

Posted on Feb 3, 2013 6:15 AM

34 replies

Aug 13, 2017 3:50 AM in response to Celso A.

I just read your comment regarding the connector issue, Ceslo.

But since my iPhone 5 uses a "Lightning cable" -- I'm on my third one now -- and my friends with NEW 6- and 7-series iPhones are dealing with what happened to you and others with your iPhone 4s and iOS 6 -- shutdowns/restarts/etc...

I still think it's an iOS issue that is now a massive trainwreck... your thoughts, please?

Feb 4, 2013 1:08 AM in response to depom

I am having the exact same problem with my iphone 5.

I took it back to the Apple store 2 days ago and they gave me a new one, but they told me not to restore it from backup cos if something (an app) is corrupted it will happen again. The only thing they could keep was my contacts cos they did something there that allowed them to transfer them to the new phone. I went home, and downloaded only ONE app (facebook), and guess what - THE PROBLEM IS STILL OCCURING ON THE BRAND NEW PHONE! It is driving me insane as I cant get through the day without my phone.

Really hoping someone has a fix that will work 😟

Feb 4, 2013 10:33 PM in response to depom

This is happening to me as well. Just started yesterday. I upgraded to the newest IOS 3 days ago. Several times I am in the middle of typing a text and it returns to the home screen. Sometimes it will vibrate and then the screen will go blank and the silver apple will come up then it will return to home screen for me to enter my pass code but the screen is at half brightness. This also happens without me touching it as it is plugged in. I hear a vibrate and look over and the phone is back at the pass code screen.????

I'm not sure why this is happening but becoming really frustrating.

Mine is a 4s.

Feb 6, 2013 11:08 AM in response to depom

Same thing just happened to me this morning. My battery completely drained during the night. This morning I put it on the charger and turned it on. Come to find out that my sound does not work. I have a ringtone that works when someone calls in. No sound for music, videos, you tube etc. I called Verizon and did some troubleshooting. As I was troubleshooting I noticed when powering off my iPhone it would automatically restart. Verizon had no explanation for why it was happening. They recommended for me to receive a replacement phone. I did some research online and it sounds like everyone started having the same problem after they updated the iOS 6.1. Using my phone throughout the morning I will occasionally have sound then it will stop working! Help Apple!

Feb 7, 2013 10:32 AM in response to Pinkness11

Having a replacement iphone means buying a new one, as the guaranty period is over (for a month) for this one...

This is the main reason why i asked Apple to consider an extension of the period.

I think the main question is related to the charging connector, which is defective.

I hope Apple will recognize his fault and open an exchange program for this kind of defect.

best regards

Denis

Feb 10, 2013 7:07 PM in response to depom

Just got back from apple store. My wife's 4S is doing the same thing. Restarting after 6.1 upgrade,... and I am 59 days out of our warranty!!!! I am VERY dissappointed with Apple on this one. Of course the only product I didn't buy applecare on (because our son was hospitalized and very sick at the time)... is the one that is broken! My 32GB 4S is fine,... but her 16GB one is not. Have restored twice... and without loading from a backup it still crashes. I am very surprised that even Apple would just try to sweep this under the rug.

Mar 13, 2013 8:39 AM in response to alper0812

I have had exactly the same problem. I have an IPhone 4s that was working really well until i upgraded to ios 6.1.2 and then the phone has started to shut itself down during applications, typing messages and accessing the internet.

Does Apple have any software fixes for this? This is my 3rd IPhone and would rather not have to trek to the Apple Store to get it sorted...

iPhone 4s keeps restarting itself after shutdown/battery draining quick/no sound after restart/ iOS 6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.