Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Output to Stereo System

I'm having trouble getting the L & R audio outputs on my 1st Gen Apple TV to input the sound to my stereo system. Everything else seems to be working fine with the HDMI output to my TV. I would rather listen to the audio that is stored from my iTunes on the HD through the stereo system and watch the cover art, etc. on the TV... is this possible? I haven't tried anything with the optical output, as I'm not sure I can find the right combination of output & input between Apple & Sony. Thanks for your help.

Apple TV

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 10:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 1:11 PM

Problem Fixed! I didn't know it, but optical digital cables are fairly standardized. The TV (Panasonic) had a digital audio output (no analog RCA outputs). I had an extra optical digital cable that I got as part of a HDMI and component video set from Costco. The cable fit the connector on the TV and also fit the Optical Input of my 20+ year old Sony TAE-1000 ESD Control Amplifier. So the Apple TV has my iTunes stored on the HD and ouputs the iTunes via HDMI to the TV. The TV ouputs the digital audio to the Sony and my stereo system. Then I use my iPhone Remote App to control selection and volume from anywhere in range of my Wi-Fi... most excellent! If I want higher quality audio (that's beyond my present hearing) I can play CD's through the Sony CDP-85ES and optical digital input to the system.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 7, 2013 1:11 PM in response to FlyerHiker

Problem Fixed! I didn't know it, but optical digital cables are fairly standardized. The TV (Panasonic) had a digital audio output (no analog RCA outputs). I had an extra optical digital cable that I got as part of a HDMI and component video set from Costco. The cable fit the connector on the TV and also fit the Optical Input of my 20+ year old Sony TAE-1000 ESD Control Amplifier. So the Apple TV has my iTunes stored on the HD and ouputs the iTunes via HDMI to the TV. The TV ouputs the digital audio to the Sony and my stereo system. Then I use my iPhone Remote App to control selection and volume from anywhere in range of my Wi-Fi... most excellent! If I want higher quality audio (that's beyond my present hearing) I can play CD's through the Sony CDP-85ES and optical digital input to the system.

Audio Output to Stereo System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.